dan486

My New Fish Room/Man Cave

The ones I got were about $120ea & they're 1200L x 500W x 1800H & it has 5 shelves but you can get various sizes :)

Apparently they hold 200kgs per shelf, don't know if I'd like to test the limits but they hold all the tanks I have on them

Edited by Betta

betta yours was bought as a kit ? if so, its different to the ones dan and i have,

ours you can buy in pieces, therefor you can set it up as you want, i went for the 1800 high, 600 wide & 900 long also, you have a few options, i went for the wire shelf as it gave more stability and then bought 9mm ply shelf that fits perfect, you can also go 2100 high or 1800 long, i think there is also a 400 wide option,

each 2 beams (1 shelf) is rated to hold 750kgs, only trouble i had was i first bought the 1800 long beams but because i was using 900 long tanks it seemed to bend in the middle, so best option is to either use the 900 for 3ft tanks, or the 1800 for 6ft tanks,

from memory each 3 ft rack cost me around $200.00, but you can buy a double end which cuts down the price if your looking at having 2 side by side, saving you from having 4 ends, you can use 3 ends,

i got enough to build 3 racks end on end and it cost me around $400.00 (3 teired)

you could also go 4 teired with 1ft tanks and 2100 high,

Edited by steveandjules

You're right Steve, mine was a kit & I did see the individual pieces you are talking about. I wanted to get those as they are more flexible with what you can add to it. My financial controller/feng shui consultant wouldn't let me, too expensive & potentially too big. Yup I have a thumb print but as they say you've got to pick your battles, lol :)

Few things have changed in 3yrs.......

Gone are all the odd size tanks, random filters and unorganized chaos.

Room now consists of 14 tanks, soon to be 18

10 @ 4ft L x 2ft w x 18" h (only 8 currently running)

4 @ 2ft x 1ft x 1ft (another 4 on way)

Pics below.

All tanks run Sponge Filters, driven by LP100.

Tanks are all drilled/plumbed for water changes, 40mm outlets for draining, 20mm piping for filling.

Currently breeding,

Fusco's - Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus

Albino Polystigmas - Nimbochromis polystigma(Albino)

VC10's - Placidochromis milomo

Edited by dan486

Quick video of tanks filling back up.
Each tank has a 40mm valve, approx 3qtrs way down. All tanks drain to a 50mm pipe which goes out to the grass.
19mm Black irrigation piping and valves used to fill tanks, from garden hose.
Tanks drain in roughly 1min. Takes about 30mins to drain and fill 6 tanks.

Second rack will eventually be plumed up the same way. Edited by dan486