Daharkazangel

Funny moments in the Hobby

Kinda like the confessions thread but just funny stuff here:

I used to have my six foot as a community with rummynoses, Angels, bn and snails. I had all the lids at one stage but after a while managed to step on one lid and never (still havnt) Got around to replacing it. Anyway i remember waking up one morning and going to the bath room to wash my face, as i entered the bathroom i felt something hard under the towl i had left on the floor from the previous night (as you do :P ) I ignored it at first, washed my face and then stepped on it AGAIN rather hard. So i though to myself, still half asleep Wtf could be under this towl. Lifted it up and found a Apple snail!! It took me 30 seconds to realise what it was and another 30 to realise how far the thing had to crawl to get where it was!! No joke this snail had crawled half the house to get to this bathroom!! I put him back in the tank, but it def made me giggle 6am in the morning :P

Anyone else have "funny" Stories to share? Ill add more as i go. Even today i check the house for Apple snails Haha!! Esp the bathroom floors! :P:p

Edited by gingerbeer
sp

I used to have my six foot as a community with rummynoses, Angels, bn and snails. I had all the lids at one stage but after a while managed to step on one lid and never (still havnt) Got around to replacing it. Anyway i remember waking up one morning and going to the bath room to wash my face, as i entered the bathroom i felt something hard under the towl i had left on the floor from the previous night (as you do :P ) I ignored it at first, washed my face and then stepped on it AGAIN rather hard. So i though to myself, still half asleep Wtf could be under this towl. Lifted it up and found a Apple snail!! It took me 30 seconds to realise what it was and another 30 to realise how far the thing had to crawl to get where it was!! No joke this snail had crawled half the house to get to this bathroom!! I put him back in the tank, but it def made me giggle 6am in the morning :P

Anyone else have "funny" Stories to share? Ill add more as i go. Even today i check the house for Apple snails Haha!! Esp the bathroom floors! :P:p

I was filling a tank with water after giving it a good once over. I was on the phone to a mate and kept telling him, "hang on just checking my tank so i dont over fill it" because i had only done the exact same thing a week ago while i was catching up with a mate in person at home. stupid me, i done it again.... and it wasnt the last time either.

i know i have some more funny stuff, just hasnt come to me yet.

At one point i was feeding my festae yabbies. then i stopped due to the cost and was surprised to find this huge adult yabbie years after i had stopped feeding them. survival of the fittest at its best.

I do not know about a giggle but I know a moment recently that just drove me insane.

Was about to set up to do some drilling of some holes in tanks and stuck the template with the suction cups on the back and started to walk back round the front of the system and hear it drop.

After a week of not finding it and knowing as soon as I go buy another one I would find it I finally gave in and I went and bought another one and a day before I was going to do it I found it in front of the system plus a good couple of meters under a desk. It only dropped about a meter and a half.

I was kicking back late at night just watching TV. I suddenly here this loud spraying of water and run to the 6ft display just in time for the sound to stop... I check around, behind, under and no water any where... I go back to the TV and just as I lay down, the loud gushing of water starts again and jump up like a jack in the box and run back to the tank... Stops again... check it all over again... Nothing! So I check it twice... No water! So i'm standing there dumb founded then it starts again... Do you know what it was? A big apple snail was cruzing along the spray bar and as it past each hole caused the water to spray all over the joint... luckily I still have all the lids. If it were a tank in the garage it wouldn't be the same story as I too have a talent for walking on glass.

Another one for the apple snails

Speaking of flooding the house. Earlier this week people came home to a flooded lower level of the house......Thinking it was all me with the fish tanks wrecking another expensive rug. Luckily wasn't me this time, it was the washing machine failed and let about, maybe, 2000 liters through the day go. WE had about 3 inches of water running through the place. Fish were fine this time! Last time it was me....with a misplaced water feed line which let about 40 liters go, until the sump hit pump level lol.

Have had some epic tank overflows myself....also an escaped crayfish which my neighbor returned to me in an ice cream bucket having found it hanging on to her poor dogs nose :) Kinda wish I'd seen that for myself. Apparently the dog was going nuts!!

But I think the funniest moment for me was one day when I was watching my Hubby build his old fish room. He was stapling hydroponic plastic to the roof to create a ceiling that would keep the heat in during winter. To reach one particular spot he had to stand in one of our grow-out barrels. He was up to his waste in water and surrounded by terrified fry. Unfortunately (for him & maybe the fry) he stapled right through a power cord running one of the lights!! Thank God for safety switches which is the only thing that made it a laughing moment :P:p He said it seriously hurt! But even he can laugh about it and the story has evolved into the ledgend of the best electric shock he's ever felt :)

Fortunately no fry were lost during the making of this funny moment :)

electricshockpic.jpg

Edited by Mel <:)))0o<

Ok I have one I think...

A few years back we moved into our current house & after several months of living here we finally met our neighbors. They were a bit stand offish and I kinda wondered if they were always this unfriendly of if we'd upset them somehow already. After a few more weeks and our kids playing together on several occasions they finally warmed up to us. One day they fessed up that for some time they had thought we were drug dealers gowning drugs under our house when we first moved in because they could see the lights and hoses and we always had people coming and going. They were so relieved when they found out we just had a few (thousand) fish! :P:p

Ok I have one I think...

A few years back we moved into our current house & after several months of living here we finally met our neighbors. They were a bit stand offish and I kinda wondered if they were always this unfriendly of if we'd upset them somehow already. After a few more weeks and our kids playing together on several occasions they finally warmed up to us. One day they fessed up that for some time they had thought we were drug dealers gowning drugs under our house when we first moved in because they could see the lights and hoses and we always had people coming and going. They were so relieved when they found out we just had a few (thousand) fish! :P:p

Haha!! I Always get weird looks from the neighbours when im dumping water from buckets on the front lawn/garden. I always wonder how long until the cops pay me a visit LOL

I don't have other funny moment but have breeded heaps of diff mbuna with thousand of fry but not once would do this (video) I don't normally have my air on 24/7 but rather on/off with the timer, every time the air is on this little Demasoni swim up & down like a crazy fish

Edited by Supercobwe

we have a 6x2.5x2.5 stocked with ebjd's,festae, red texas, split gene jd's , loaches, peps, and assorted l numbers.. nothing unusual there... the comedy is between our festae and a fighter we forgot to remove when switching out the tropicals.. the festae was the undisputed king of the previous tank.... the fighter does not tolerate the festae in any way shape or form and keeps him bailed up in the corner of the tank 90% of the time. the other 10% of the time the festae is putting a beating on the rest of the tank mates.. Festae is about 9-10 cm but terrified of a little fighter.. classic.

Soooooo not funny right now, but maybe in time. Diy canister filter stopped working this arvo, 20mins later nearly pulling my hair out.. .even sucked on hose to prime....................wasnt working beacuse there was a fat clown loach up the intake, right at the end... Fish was gooone.... Filter is now running smooth. Note to self, cover intake -_-

Top it off, got a canister filter with my new 5x2. Firsr bought one, no instructions.....got water everywhere figuring what was what. Turns out they have seals fir a reason, and you should not just disconnect things without fully thinking it thru.

FUN NIGHT -_-

ok may just be me but i still piss my self laughing about this one :)

so about a year back i was doing a tank change and my black shark out of no where just decides to jump out of the tank and land half way into my lounge room i quickly slipped her back in the tank and noticed two little white nips on one side of her i thought instantly it was a cray but couldnt find any in the tank (i had feeder cray that grew out)

about two weeks later after my mum woning at me about a feral fish smell in the house i did all the tanks with big gravel cleans, water change the whole works and still had that smell so me and dad started lifting up tables and couches and long behold and dead cray about 2 inches all dried up under the couch haha :) thats when i realised my shark jumped out with a cray attached and flung it across my lounge room haha must have been some ride for that cray :).

cheers dan.

Years ago I had a few racks of tanks & I used to have a little step ladder to get to the mini reef(bio balls) which was on the top shelf of the rack, the water was pumped up to the reef & flowed down into the top tank which was 5 x 2 x 2 which was divided into 3 tanks then the water drained from that tank into the bottom shelf which had the same sized tank on it & that's where the pump was located pumping up to the mini reef, one day I was cleaning the filter & I had most of the bio balls in a bucket of tank water & I was reaching up to lift the mini reef down & the step ladder tilted slightly & I reacted, thinking I was going to fall off, by trying to get the ladder level again but I over corrected & smacked the top of the ladder into the front of the lower tank punching a hole in the front, I had discus breeding in this bank of tanks & I had water & fish all over the floor, took me about five minutes to find everyone cause a couple of them went under other tank racks. I must say it wasn't very funny at the time but when I look back now I always laugh to my self : )