post-7843-1471162769148_thumb.jpg

I keep finding these bugs in my 6ft tank and have no idea what they are. I keep getting rid of them. Are they bad for the fish. Could they have come from my live soil I purchased for my plants? Anyone know if they are bad for the tank and fish?

Thanks in advance

Those would be damselfly nymphs (distinguished from dragonfly nymphs by their caudal lamellae). Probably hitch hiked from some plants that were grown outdoors.

Not particularly harmful if you keep large fish. However, they will hunt for shrimps of any small fish such as tetras that they could catch. If you do happen to spot one, just catch it and drop it again into the tank near the surface. It makes good live food and most fish will snatch it up. ;)

I must say I have lost about 4 neons out of that tank over the last 3 weeks (not usual) and a couple of pep 3 cm's.

So hard to spot the buggers to get rid of them. Every time I thing I have em all I see some more. Thanks for the advise and info.

Damselfly nymphs a hunting we do go.

Anything that shows in a tank that you haven't put there should be got rid of. Nymphs, other than the human variety are a threat.................come to think of it................the human variety are a threat also.