Just wondering how many people leave a light on for the fish at night , i leave my blue light on and since doing so have heard less splashing ect at night, also have found there to be less injured fish in the tank

Terry

Good ? Terry. My tank lights are on between 6 & 10 hrs a day. All off by around 10pm. I find that the longer the light exposure,

the greater the build up of brown algae on the plants.

Cheers Shorty. :fish:

When I have substrate spawners with free swimming fry in a community tank, I find the survival rates are improved by leaving a room light on. The tank lights are off, but the small amount of room light seems to be enough to keep them more alert to midnight raids my other fish looking for a late night snack. They still seem to rest, but dont go into that really inactive sleep.

jason

with the lights on i have had no prob with algae but the ones i leave on are just the blue light not the standard white colour which i have found to make algae grow a bit also its only a 4 foot light on a 6 foot ( 6 x 2 x 2 ) and still stays fairly dark but with some light , have also found the fish to still sleep ( so to call it ) with it like this have lights on from about 6pm to 9pm then switch the blue one on til morn , around 5am seems to benifit some fish and not others

Terry

i have 5 x 4' fluro tubes in the hood of my 8' tank that are all individually switched. I put a blue coral star tube in one that i turn on to see the nocturnal fish in action (& crayfish!). but i still just switch it on when i want to watch... same as all the other tanks except my planted tank which is on a timer (on @ midday & off @ 8pm.)

my yo-yo loachs in my planted tank are quite funny as the time approachs 8pm they stop snuffling about & all find an anubis leaf to lie on & goto sleep :o

I don't leave an lights on at night for my fish, but also don't have any problems with fish injuring themselves.

All my tanks are on timers, for 6.5 hours of light. First tank comes on at 5:45am and turns off at 12:15pm, second tank comes on at 8:45am and turns off at 3:15pm, 3rd tank comes on at 11:45am and turns off at 6:15pm. There is enough ambient light for the all fish to be active for 12 hours, without leaving the lights on for an extended period on any one tank.

I leave the white light on during the day and after 4.30pm I switch to the blue light until I go to bed. Around 9pm.

They seem to be as less active when I switch to the blue light.

cheers Jodie :)

I have lights on all my display tanks but usually only on from about 4 or 5 till 7 or 8pm longer when we have visitors as they love to look at all the pretty fishes lol..

As for algae i say get a uv steriliser mate there geat. There on all of my displays and not a hint of algae to be seen.

Cheers Chris

Mine are all on timers (few bucks from ikea) ... Go on at 6pm and off at 9pm ... the longer they are on the more algae ...

Hamza

3 hrs a day 8O or is that a typo?

I use uv so algae isnt a drama lol i thought fish like any creatures need the sunlight :whoa: mines on from when i get up in the morning say 7am and off when i go to bed 10-11pm

Hey FishHeadSoup,

Many fish don't live in water as clear or shallow as our tanks. I really don't know about the conditions african cichlids live in, but many American cichlids, unless they come from a shallow waterway, don't get to much direct sunlight. In many cases the ambient room light is enough for our cichlids to be active. Lights are more for our viewing or the welfare of planted tanks.