Crappity crap crap - I've got hydra as well :x:x (didn't want to hijack fishheadsoups' post)

Have just found it in a 4fter with 8cm peppermints and 3cm rummy nose & pristella tetra.

Also in my 2ft quarantine tank which holds my auction wins - 3 x 2cm pepps, 6 x 2cm - 5cm sterbai cory's and 2 x apisto agassizi - which have just spawned, found eggs this afternoon (still an L-plater at this fish business & first time eggs, so a bit :mrgreen: ) Until the hydra, which i found an hour ago, after a partial water change.

I read that braddo (I think it was) suggested panacur25 - but advised removing fish..

I'm in Hawthorne, not too many produce stores around here - can anyone suggest a course of action & different medication?

Should I remove both fish from both tanks - pop them in storage tubs with new water (which will probably contain these blighters as well, eh?)respective filters, etc, and dose tanks with product x (whatever someone can recommend).

If so - how long should it be dosed for?

I guess all newcoming water will contain hydra - how can I prevent another infestation (haven't got RO or rainwater available)

Please help - really want to save the baby pepps, corydora and new fry from the aggies

Thanks for reading this far - sorry for the long winded panic post :oops:

Thanks for your reply :)

As I only need a couple of mil to treat the baby fish tank @80 litres, was happy to find it in 20ml lots.

Price for a litre was around 65.00. Wanted to spare myself some heat as I'm getting a fair bit of eyerolling & raised eyebrows from the partner over the cost of fishkeeping :roll: He's got the tightest forehead this side of Hollywood from all the eye exercise..

Hydra may kill newly hatched fry....but not mature fish....unlikely to kill them all

Personally I wouldn't be worried unless there is thousands....more chance of killing fry with medication than hydra!!??

Where have aggies spawned? You could remove eggs and hatch externally.....plastic container with an airstone??

See what fish eat hydra....gouramies?

Hey Rod

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm going to leave the big tank with adults in it, alone

The 80 litre quarantine tank has all the babies in it, as well as apisto eggs.

I'm new to fish and a total nancy - so i'm pulling the baby fish out into a tub, and nuking the tank and all in it.

I wouldn't say thousands but enough for my little boy to ask why all the white dots are waving at him.

I haven't got many in the big tank, I think maybe the pristella tetras are eating them :)

Aggies have spawned underneath a peice of driftwood - as I type I'm watching a baby pepp get nipped on the bum by apisto mum.

I think even my fish ambivalent partner is getting interested now that there are eggs about, and their parenting behaviour.

The only fish I know of that will munch them is the blue gourami but they would have munched the baby apisto's as well. But it will be a slow process. Also as I said i treated my tank with the fish in it but I don't recomend it just in case. I have heard of discus breeders losing fish using panacur.

Thanks braddo -

Its on your and Aussie123's advice that i'm pulling the babies out prior to the nuke.

I will have to remove the driftwood piece as well as the wee fish, due to the eggs being laid on it. Any hydra on it, will then be put back in the nuked tank in three days.

Will this negate the whole nuking process, as some hydra are bound to be on the driftwood?

When (and if) the fry emerge and mum brings them out, I'm thinking i will pull out the driftwood and scald it in boiling water

Also if I put the wee fish in a tub with new water it may shock them, yeah?(New water may contain hydra as well?)

If I put 50% existing tank water in with new water, some hydra are transferred - what the hell do i do?

After nuking for three days at 1ml per 40 litres, do i do a total water change, clean out substrate, plants, etc?

If its in the water system, should I be storing water and treating with the panacur as a precaution, prior to water changes?

Sorry - told ya I was a nancy!

Dont worry about treating everytime you do a water change only when you see the blighters. Even though it is in our water supply it has to have the right conditions to produce one major thing is brine shrimp for some reason when you feed alot of fresh ahtched brine shrimp it comes out.

Yep do a water change after 2 days it will be dead in the first 24hours and give another 24 for precautionary measures. It will make your tank milky so I waterchanged every day until I saw it clear again.

Dont worry about washing everything it is a suspension so waterchanges will get rid of it.

Hahahaha, looks like I am going to the Panacur shop tomorrow as well.

I have hydra in the cherry shrimp tank. Do you know how long it is going to take to pick out all the shrimp ( babies in particular) to treat the tank? :lol:

Hahahaha, looks like I am going to the Panacur shop tomorrow as well.

I have hydra in the cherry shrimp tank. Do you know how long it is going to take to pick out all the shrimp ( babies in particular) to treat the tank? :lol:

Jiminy :boggle: -

I thought I had it bad - that sucks the big one Bren.

Love your good humour though :mrgreen:

Your going to be cross eyed - are these the same shrimp that had the filter experience?

Dont worry about treating everytime you do a water change only when you see the blighters. Even though it is in our water supply it has to have the right conditions to produce one major thing is brine shrimp for some reason when you feed alot of fresh ahtched brine shrimp it comes out.

Have you seen it occur with frozen baby brine shrimp?

This is what i'm thinking for fry food, until i can get some microworms happening...

Thanks scott, :)

The nuking has begun - I have two little boys who are trying to help :whyme:

Jeez, catching cories is fun - not!

Mumma apisto had a go at me for taking the eggs - but reunited now, so all good.

Just hoping the new water doesn't a) shock them too much & B) have the horrible hydra in it as well. :evil: