Hi Guys,

I'm in the second week of cycling a 4x2x2 tank, after a week water was tested found ok. I introduced 18 various community fish over 3 days. I was sold some Floradose a slow release plant food, guy in LFS said it was brilliant. over the last 3 days the water has been going yellow, like tannin. I want to do a water change to help clear it up. Is it ok to water change after 2 weeks?

Thanks.

Generally it takes at least 5 weeks for a tank to cycle

It wont cycle without a source of ammonia....if your water is ok after a week I can only assume you had no fish in the tank and no source of ammonia so the cycling process hadn't started.....I'd be doing some testing and waterchanging to minimise any problems as your tank begins to cycle with the introduction of fish....you may end up with a lot of sick fish!

I may have it all wrong...but???

the cycle process....http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Newtank.htm

Tank was fishless for the first week, I have rock and 4 medium drift wood peices and 6 plants and some chain sword. Feeding tropical flake and just brought shrimp pellets for B/N and clown loach, all fish seem happy and active.

looks like I have some reading up on cycling to do, I had a 2' tank before and never knew anything about cycling.

Thanks

It sounds like your driftwood is leaching tannin it is not going to harm the fish and water changes will get rid of it. Water changes should be done minimum fortnightly at 25%. This will also help with the cycling process.

would definetly be a good time to read up on cycling...

as for water changes ive said in another post about waterchanges that no one can tell you how often or how much water you need to change...

you need to test your water often and give it a day after you have done a water change to check the levels again...

i was told once that 20% every 7-10 days, when really it should have been 30% at least every 7 days,

as for the tea/yellow water, thats just the tannin from the driftwood and over time it will slowly stop leeching.,.. or you can pull it out and boil it to reduce the amount it leeches

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have done a 30% water change, the yellowing is much better, and I think I have my head around cycling.

I will test the water at the LFS. and water changes every 5 days for a month. fish still seem happy so hopefully I havn't done any serious damage to them. :oops: