PK so I have always just weighed it down with rocks

or zip tied slate to it

or boiled it up

buttttttttttt..........

was recently asked by someone

about a bit of driftwood they have been soaking for 5 months

and its still floating after all the above

what else can they try?

drill a few holes straight through it i assume it has a knot in it somewhere that has a air bubble happened to me before its annoying drilled 7 holes before i figured it out but hey allways gives u more space to plant out :)

cheers dan.

I also have an awesome piece of wood that wont sink....same deal....had it submerged for at least 6 months.....I came to the conclusion that it's just not meant to be......

Yeah, some wood is just full of air pockets, or has a hollow vein system- that stuff just will never sink. Heartbreaking when you have an awesome piece that you just cant use.

you can allways drillsmall holes through it after a month u barely see them

thanks guys

so options

1) submerge it deeper

2) drill small holes in it, espec into knots

3) attach it to acrylic/slate and then weigh down with substrate (very old school and effective by the way)

cheers guys

haha if it doesnt stay down after all of that, then the world must officially be coming to an end.

You could just throw it away

lol its not mine

actually belongs to a frustrated customer

I said I would ask around and see if I could get him a few more options.

Have to admit I was a bit disapointed my "boil the heck out of it" suggestion didnt work!

Suggestion to silicone the piece of wood to a piece of glass so its under the gravel. Plus when glass is on the bottom of tank usually adheres ting to remove it at a later dato the other glass on bottom.problem is trying to remove it at a later date

What type of wood is it? Cork? Never seen wood not sinking... But have seen some that took a few weeks.

I'd probably just silicone it to a nice rock.

Must be a heck of a nice piece of wood to go to all the trouble.

What type of wood is it? Cork? Never seen wood not sinking... But have seen some that took a few weeks.

I'd probably just silicone it to a nice rock.

Must be a heck of a nice piece of wood to go to all the trouble.

ive found some great looking root systems a while back but they still wouldnt float after 3 months of weighing it down some really soft wood just wont sink, my rule for finding wood is if your arm dont get sore after 20 mins hauling it up a creek, it aint gonna sink haha.

I have to agree, I had a couple of pieces that just wouldn't stay down, had to weigh it down with number of other solid pieces of driftwood & rocks, even after three years they still floated :)

omg dff....your asking US for advice? what's the world coming too? lol

LMFAO !!!!!

DFF I use very large rocks in the tank as part of the scape and wait. If it waterloggs than great if it doesn't so be it the rocks will keep it down and the scape looks cool anyway.

The issue is that there are sometimes gas pockets that simply will not release the gas in store due to the structure of the wood around it. XD So it could be years and still it can float as well, the air has no where to escape to in those years. Usually it takes some degrading and breaking into the gas chamber for it to release the gas. :(

I too had this problem, what I did was screw a piece of spay bar to the bottom off the wood 5/6 suction caps and stick to the bare bottom. Cover with sand and bobs ur uncle.

I had to run a chainsaw threw it to get a flat bottom but did the trick for me.

This won't work for every one but hope it helps.