Hi guys. Not too sure what's going on with my 3 spot gourami. She's around 12cm long, has been eating ok but the top fin is clamped to the top of body & she's swimming in jerky movements.

When she's not swimming & is idle in one place, the jerking continues like a nerve impulse.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks Shorty. :fish:

Flicking and clamped fins - water quality issue??? - Have you tested the water? Ammonia spike?

Clamped fins could also indicate stress from a fungal or bacterial problem as well.

Sorry I haven't been able to narrow down anything :(

I would go through a process of elimination starting with water quality.

hey friend , this is a very common problem amongst gouramis and mollies , we call it the shimmies . this is easily fixed by raising the tank temp . they both prefer temps higher than most other fish , more than most beginner books would have you believe . this shimmering is the equivilent of you or i shivering . it is involentry as the musles convulse to generate heat . ;)

Hi Peter. Thanks. Water tests are A1. I have 2 other gouramis in that tank with no ill effect.

PS. the fish are loving the wafers & I hope you're enjoying Demonoid.

Cheers Shorty. :fish:

Hi there Pisces. That would make sense. Temp is 27.2 deg. C or should it be higher than that still. 2 other gouramis are doing fine

& are in tank with blue & yellow rams & bolivians. Thanks for your advice..much appreciated.

Cheers Shorty. :fish:

your welcome , listen i would recomend 31-32 degrees , only thing is i don't know how your rams etc will like it . should be ok , but i would recomend bumping it up a notch each day untill you reach 32 ,monitoring all other fish as you go . i was unaware from your post that you had other gouramis not behaving this way . so i would recomend having a good visual inspection of the fish in question and look for obvious signs of white spot first . and they would still benefit from temp increase . cheers and good luck .

When they shimmie it's usually a sign of getting sick, often a sign of whitespot. Sorry for late post.

They are also prone to TB and Linfo which are untreatable.

Linfo is pinky whitey patches on the body - best thing to stop it spreading is clean water but it cannot be cured, and fish with it should be isolated or destroyed.

All the best with any other Gourami you may have.

Stace