mellyham

Oscars In Lake Kurwongbah???

I was down at Lake Kurwongbah on the weekend and I was in shock when two massive bright orange Oscars swam past my feet. They were chasing the small fish all over the place. I'm not sure what to do??

A: Leave them in peace as they look like they have been there for years.

Or

B: Try and net them and put them in a mates tank??

What does everyone think on this matter??

Are you sure that they weren't tilapia in breeding dress? Oscars normally pop their clogs at prolonged 18d and kurwongbah went down to 17 for a couple of days this winter.

tilapia do look very similar but the ones in my local creek system ave a distinct green fin lining, do they have this? if not get them out asap :) i also live close to kurwongbah so if u need a had on the day pm me you'll need all hands on deck.

cheers dan

I was down at Lake Kurwongbah on the weekend and I was in shock when two massive bright orange Oscars swam past my feet. They were chasing the small fish all over the place. I'm not sure what to do??

A: Leave them in peace as they look like they have been there for years.

Or

B: Try and net them and put them in a mates tank??

What does everyone think on this matter??

Fish releases like this do give us all a bad name as fish keepers. A is never an option.

B is not really an option either, if you saw two there may be more. This needs to be reported to the DPI.

tilapia do look very similar but the ones in my local creek system ave a distinct green fin lining, do they have this? if not get them out asap :) i also live close to kurwongbah so if u need a had on the day pm me you'll need all hands on deck.

cheers dan

The problem is Dan, they look distinctly different in the water than they do out. If you see a mozambique mouthbrooder in a tank, it's a beautiful fish and nothing at all like the images at the DPI website or on notice boards. One way to tell 'em is the size of the nest................very much like a pandanus nest in the shallows, but much bigger. You can see how destructive they are from how much plant life it's cleared

P1030088.JPG

The problem is Dan, they look distinctly different in the water than they do out. If you see a mozambique mouthbrooder in a tank, it's a beautiful fish and nothing at all like the images at the DPI website or on notice boards. One way to tell 'em is the size of the nest................very much like a pandanus nest in the shallows, but much bigger. You can see how destructive they are from how much plant life it's cleared

great point :)

Those of you with good memory's will recall a few of us fishing Springfield lakes for tilapia

and all we got for our trouble is whinged at by the locals and a reply 6 weeks later from the

council saying we couldn't fish there they are aware of the problem and it will be dealt with

IMO it's just not worth it

FJ

well if they arent taking sightings seriously i suggest as many people as possible on this thread message them with a sighting in the same creek, surely that many hits in a few days should get them moving?

There's one lady for the whole of QLD she came and gave a talk at our club meeting awhile back

They have had cut backs too

Good idea but don't think it would happen anytime soon

FJ

Kev I think you meant Tandanus........

:D

Correct DFF. I was just writiing something prior to the post about an old ship called the Pendennis back in the UK.....................early onset of Alzheimers I fear.

Sometimes I crave the taste of pandanus with rice.

Subtle

but goooooooooooooooood!

Sort of like the way if you ever have rice cooked in bamboo on a fire

you cannot get the taste out of your head.

I mean its not that special....... but I miss it.

'There's one lady for the whole of QLD she came and gave a talk at our club meeting awhile back

They have had cut backs too; Good idea but don't think it would happen anytime soon' FJ

That's right and she'll be gracing the forums soon folks - just a heads up

This is the Mozambique as opposed to thoe generally caught

IMGP1589.jpg

Wow nice looking fish to! shame there are some mongrels out there who release fish like that! I for one would love one in my tank what a shame we cant keep them.....