there's nothing hard about keeping/breeding texas cichlids. We've been keeping them for several years now. A breeding pair were added to our 6ft community tank( silver dollars, gold sevs, silver shark, loaches etc) a couple of years ago and then another pair was added...thats when hassles began, but not before the 1st pair bred and produced several batches of fry which we scooped out and put into another tank and grew out & sold. We sold the 2nd pair cause it was hard to keep up with all the fry. The original pair are now in a 3ft by themselves with gravel substrate and the large ornament that they had in the big tank. They have continued to breed and we just scoop the fry out and into grow out tanks. Couldnt be easier...and theyre beautiful fish.

yer i really like the texas it payday so i bort 2 more and hope that 1 is a girl bcause i got one male i think he's found a cave and doug a hole. wats the best way to tell the diffrence??? :)

and i bort 2 red jewls to through in for the moment.

josh

what size were the ones you bought and from where? i was in pet city last w/end and saw the super green texas went for 160 bucks ( they are 12+cm) and the juvies of them selling for 34.95 and they were 5-6cm.

yeah, how do you tell male and females, by venting?

I dont know about putting red jewels in with the texas...different fish altogether....and from what I've read about them it doesnt sound like they'd go well together. Here is a pic of my texas before the move from the 6ft tank. The female is showing breeding colours and the males are bigger 2009_0117tankfish0010.JPG[/attachment:g830oqdk]2009_0117tankfish0009.JPG[/attachment:g830oqdk]

yeah i saw the green texas 2 weeks ago there pritty nice i thourght about it but i wanted to get a mate for my texas. the 1s that i got r only small a 3 or 4cm they were the smallest in the store so im hopin that there girls with any luck.

i might just move the jewls in to the smaller tank grow them and see wat happens if they dont get along. i wasnt shore if they were good or not. nice texas the femals looks real nice.

thanks josh