I just gave my orange head fry a big feed of fresh hatched BBS last night for the first time in a few weeks.

the fry are just over a month old and were going strong.

had a couple die early on but none since.

So this morning I woke up to 5 dead bubs. Did a water change and fed crushed pellet. Got home from work this arvo to another 5 dead :|

Now hours later there are another 2 dead.

And when I think back, the last few deaths I had was when I had fed the BBS.

Is it possible to get a bad batch?

I know the shells are bad but I've been really careful with that.

I'm pretty upset about whatever's going on.

All I can say is I'm not feeding anymore of that and I hope they stop dying soon. I think I have about 40 left.

I'm hoping I don't wake up to a heap more dead babies.

Any thoughts?

Edited by chels1289

Hm yeah I wondered the same. So I did a 10% water change this morning, and 20% tonight.

0 Ammonia and 5-10 nitrates.

But I think some are still going downhill.

most if them look fine, all swimming around wanted food etc. but then I keep finding one it two struggling out of no where :(

What size tank are they in now. How often are they getting water changed as they grow will need bigger water volume as well as more waterchanges to maimtain.Maybe a spike in your water cant see it being bbs

They had been in a 30litre tank. They are only little, just under a cm.

i was doing 20% water changes every two days.

since this has happened I've moved them to a 2 foot tank. I was planning to do it this week anyway.

had been testing water regularly but no spike.

i woke up to 7 more dead this morning and this really sucks. I swear its the bbs. It's like their intestines are exploding.

i know it doesn't make sense but. It's a weird cooincidence that I hadn't had a death since feeding that weeks ago and now this has happened. Is there a chance the bbs had bits if shell stuck to them still?

i know people swear by bbs... I dunno.

you may have had a spike and didn't notice, sounds like what happened with a batch of my bn,

did you test nitrites? its as bad as ammonia its what killed my bn, :(

30 lts isn't a lot of water for 40+ 1cm fry,

I've heard peas help with digestion?

should I try? I've never fed peas before..

peas are used for bloat or blockages, yes i have used it, and do still give it to my bn fry every few days, they love it, not sure how your geos will go with it,

Yeah apparently they are really good for geos too.

0 Nitrites....

I'm gonna try feed some peas tonight.. can't hurt... if I have any fry left when I get home :(

They seemed pretty good in the 30 litre. I kept them in there cause at the start they weren't overly enthusiastic on food and I wanted to make sure they found their food.

But once they started eating really well (last week) I decided to move them into the bigger tank. I was keeping my eye on the water quality like a hawk but..

Also do you rinse the bbs before feeding in fresh water. And filtration type in the tank? Are they sitting on the bottow much? Use a torch and see if there is any tiny hydra on the walls of the tank as well as the bottom. They look like clear threads off the sides.

Water temp is 26, they sit on the bottom before they die. But all the others are swimming all over the place, right up to my fingers when I feed.

I think I've had hydra once before, I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

Thanks braddo.

Doing my head in. Oh and no I didn't rinse them... I asked about it on here and nearly everyone said not to cause the little bit of salt should do good.

I did find in small tanks salt levels can increase quite fast. Also on soft water fish I found it caused problems. But that is just my findings.

Will keep thinking aboutit and see if I can come up with something else. Never nice losin fish this way.

Nope, yeah maybe it was the salt... It's just funny how they all seem fine and then every few hours there are 5 more dead.

So I remove those, all seem ok, then another group dead hours later.

Also, now they have been moved to the bigger tank, if there was a salt problem it should have been fixed and they shouldn't be dying still....

I don't even wanna go home and look how many more are gone!!

the other thing is maybe they arent getting enough nutrients out of bbs especialy if it is the only food they are getting. Bbs have the best nutritional value for a coupleof hours after they hatch at the most.

Ok I would definately stop feeding bbs. Im not a fan of nls due to its waste problems. The other thing is I never grind a pellet down to feed fry that is designed for adult fish the nutritional values are totally different for a growing fish and an adult fish. Growing fish need higher protiens and knowing the guy that helped tech den with his food made my mind up to use it.

All dead this morning.

so disappointed. So much effort went into looking after them and now they are all gone.

the NLS was called 'grow' for fry.

but if they ever spawn again I will get in contact with the tech den, he just lives around the corner so that's easy :)

thanks for your help.

No they started dying before I swapped tanks.

I probably lost 20 in the small tank. Then moved to the bigger tank and lost the rest over about 2 days.

I know it was a risk moving them while there was something wrong but used seeded filters and only added new water slowly over the day - only half filled the 2 foot for them cause I didn't want to add too much new water at once.

There are too many other things in the tank.. Other orange heads, cories, tetras, bns, plecos. I'm surprised the eggs made it this far. I'm not set up with multiple tanks for breeding so I was just lucky.. For a bit anyway haha.

To me after reading the thread it sounds like a case of fry growing in a small tank.. Everything goes fine for a while until they grow large enough to create ammonia spikes that burn their gills and do damage that is irreversible .. The filters may have been clearing it out before you get home from work and check but damage is done.. I also use crushed pellets and things to feed fry but am also carefull of the fact that adding "powdered" food dissolves into the water creating its own dramas.

I think over filtration and plenty of water changes is key to raising fry