Nick0

Changing substrate

So it was finally time to get rid of the terrible brown gravel I inherited with my 5fter today. I didn't think it was going to be much of a drama, just pull all rocks and wood out, scoop out the gravel, clean sand, throw it in, piece a cake. :perplex: Not quite.

I got some white sand from landscape supplier cheap as (prolly gonna have heaps left over too if anyone wants some). Got home and my mate started cleaning the sand while I pulled the tank apart.

At first it was ok while I was getting the rocks out, but as soon as I distrurbed the substrate the water went feral. Totally brown, disgusting mud water. I was shocked at how much shit was in the water cos I religiously vac it every week, I guess I was doin a crap job :( .

Anyway I wasn't going to put the sand in with 3 ton of detritus suspended in the water so I just as much gravel out as I could and I will wait for it to clear then vac the rest up. I got all the sand clean and ready to go.

Then I have to clean the filter, throw the sand in, wait for it to clear again.......*sigh*

But when it clears I know it gonna look awesome and I will pics up asap.

Sorry for the downer rant.

cheers hamza. Water was still pretty shit this arvo, lot better tho. I cleaned the filter sponges :? gross man. They were so full of shit. But it's good it's out of the tank now. Barerbottom in tank now and just waiting for water to clear. Hopefully sand in tomorrow, pics up by the weekend. :)

Once u put the sand in it will take a little while to clear (longer than crushed coral, calc carb and normal gravel) ... But worth it ...

On the bright side, ur getting all the sh1t out of the tank now ...

Hamza