dexxl

calvus heart attack - please help! urgent!

i found my water abit cloudy this morning, i suspect it's from the excess food in the tank. however, i haven't seen my new fish since i got them cos they're always hiding in the log....

i moved the log to make sure that fouling was not caused by dead fish. one of the female calvus starting going ape sh!t then suddenly stopped and sunk to the bottom and is still there as i type this (i hope she gets back up).. the bigger female did the same thing but got up from the bottom as soon as she touched it.

are these fish known to have such drama queens?

should i remove the log so they get used to seeing my family and me faster?

i have pepps in the same tank which really couldn't care whatever i do to the tank (they hung on to the log even after i took it out of the water.. i had to shake them off)

and leptosomas which i thought would encourage the calvus to come out and play more...

pH is buffered with seachem malawi

ammonia is monitored with seachem AmmoniaAlert and is reading slightly above 'safe'

aquarium salt has been added to reduce stress and prevent some bacteria

i want to do a water change because of the turbidity in the water, but i'm afraid of these drama queen calvus doing their funky heartattack chicken dance.

comments?

calvus are known to be touchy to changes in water quality, things like temperature and your basic water parameters (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate) need to be kept good otherwise it can lead to deaths.

its definately going to be the ammonia, so id be removing whatever is rotting and doing a 50% waterchange using seachem prime. make sure you heat the water to the same temp as the tank so you dont cause more problems for them.

Good luck

i'll try the water change and prebuffer it first to match temperature and pH, she seemed to be okay before i moved the log, just hiding alot...

i do 25% water changes every 3 to 4 days, i put a blanket over the tank so that movements around the house wouldn't scare her until she recovers. had a peek and at least she's upright and not flat at the bottom anymore.

wifey started nagging at me for using the bub's blanket :roll: telling her we got a good washing machine didn't make her any happier :lol:

i should also add that it's a bare bottom tank, with cal carb in the filters so i know there's no poop or excess food just lying around. I might also flush out the filter sponge this afternoon as well. just afraid that all this sanitation might scare her more.

Hey,

by aquarium salt are you reffering to rock salt etc? If so how much did you use and what size tank is it?

IMO i wouldn't ad that kind of salt in with them, i only use african salts ie rift lake salt and seachem tanganyika buffer - using malawi buffer shouldn't matter tho.

If you are worried when adding new fish IMO for africans melafix is best - just to becareful i use 5mL for 80L (so 1/2 amount) bottle says 5mL for 40L.

And are you using pre cycled water for WC's or fresh tap water?

I WC once a week if time or 1 a fortnight of upto 20%, as they are so touchy i wouldn't do big WC's on them with tap water.

And i wouldn't take your accessories outta the tank if they're already in there or they will become more stressed with nothing to hide behind. And they will probably take awhile to settle in so unless they're dead don't worry if they don't come out of hiding right away.

Good luck.

water changes at the moment are being done with rainwater + the seachem buffer, i know everyone says to just use tap water. but logistically speaking, the rainwater tap is pretty much right beside my fish tank... + rainwater has a much lower TDS and lower nutrience and metals caused by dodgy council pipes. for this 50% water change, i will use half tap water and half rainwater then prebuffer to 8.2pH and temperature to match existing tank conditions.

i'll do it this afternoon when my funky chicken calvus calms down abit more, i just had another peek under the blanket and she's back in the log, so that's a great sign..

Calvus are like Mike Tyson in drag ... They look tough and can be tough at times, but they sulk for everything and often for a week or 2 ... As long as u've tested the water and everything is ok just give it time ...

Hamza

I have found newly added altos can sulk for a while.

I can't see why you are using ammonia guard for either, especially if you are doing so many water changes. You still have to be careful with tank water, you have to remember it runs off your roof.

As for adding a little salt to help with bacteria. It will do nothing sorry for that, you are wasting your time if that is your primary use.

I have always raised altos in bare tanks, ie; no fixtures, never had a drama. I wouldn't use a blanket either. How are they going to get used to people walking past.

keep up the feeding, when doing water changes, make it as smoothly as you can. They will come right.

Frenchy :sheep:

have to disagree with tutters and justin on the salt.

i always used salt in my african cichlid tanks at the rate of 1g pr 1L.

i personally believe it does ward off infections and bacteria.

salt and 30-32 degree temps is all i used to fight white spot, even for americans (rams) if i aquired fish with whitespot.

there are other ways to get KH and GH up other than expensive buffers.

i bred some pretty touchy fish too.

adam :)

Well there is something wrong with your water. Your other fish may be used to your water quality. What is your ph at? what did your ph use to be before you added the altos & the buffer salts? I am thinking if your tank was around neutral or below, then you have added ph buffers. the ammonium you had in your water has converted in toxic ammonia. Your test kit would read both equally, It doesn't pick up just one or the other. The way the alto's are carrying on its like toxic posioning. Do more water changes, I suggest with tap water. I am worried its either ammonia or tank water problem.

Thanks for saying I am wrong Adam. I do use a little salt myself to help stimulate osmsis. But I have to be careful, I should use buffers or marine salt. Prolonged normal salt can cause problems.

But as for treating bacterial infections, umm I will follow what I do. Help with infections/ wounds, maybe. Good for short baths with parasites yes. To kill bacteria or parasites with salt, the levels needed will more than likely kill the fish. & if thats wrong, I am throwing Gerald Bassleer's book out.

Another word of note, if people pump the water temp up to 30, increase oxygen levels. With lake Tangy's you still risk killing them at 30, even with increased oxygen.

Frenchy :sheep:

not saying your wrong mate, just saying what i used to do.

have been out of the game for a couple of years so i am most likely wrong LOL, i didn't know using salt long term can be bad. :perplex:

all the best

adam