Flanagan001

Breeding - Super Green Texas and Flowerhorn

My Texas (and Flowerhorn )laid eggs around 15th Nov but someone ate them on the 2nd night.

They have laid another load of eggs last night.

What do I/ can I do to keep these.

The eggs are on a flat surfaced stone which is constantly guarded by the Texas.

Other fish in the tank -

2x clown loch

2 x bristle nose catfish

1 x Siamese algae eater

1 x gold Guarami

Firstly, don't refer to your SGT (Herichthys carpintis) as 'Texas', it'll cause confusion as Texas are a different species (Herichthys cyanoguttatum).

With that said, it'll be really hard for your pair to defend against your other stock. It's possible that one of the two parents ate the eggs, but is probably more likely that one of the catties did it.

What you can do is separate the flat stone into a separate tank, to prevent the eggs from being eaten. It'll be hard though, coz you'll have to let water flow over the eggs - enough to simulate a parent's fanning, but not so much that they get dislodged or damaged. The better choice is to remove all other fish besides the pair (which I don't think you'd want to do).

Even with your SGT guarding the eggs, it can still happen. SGTs are prolific breeders and are quite aggressive, but not the best defenders of territories. Especially at night, when the nocturnals hunt around.

What color is your eggs, btw? Fertilized eggs will look tan/brownish. Unfertilized/damaged eggs will look white.

Firstly, don't refer to your SGT (Herichthys carpintis) as 'Texas', it'll cause confusion as Texas are a different species (Herichthys cyanoguttatum).

With that said, it'll be really hard for your pair to defend against your other stock. It's possible that one of the two parents ate the eggs, but is probably more likely that one of the catties did it.

What you can do is separate the flat stone into a separate tank, to prevent the eggs from being eaten. It'll be hard though, coz you'll have to let water flow over the eggs - enough to simulate a parent's fanning, but not so much that they get dislodged or damaged. The better choice is to remove all other fish besides the pair (which I don't think you'd want to do).

Even with your SGT guarding the eggs, it can still happen. SGTs are prolific breeders and are quite aggressive, but not the best defenders of territories. Especially at night, when the nocturnals hunt around.

What color is your eggs, btw? Fertilized eggs will look tan/brownish. Unfertilized/damaged eggs will look white.

Thanks for the intel on SGT/Texas, I didn't know that. Still learning :)

the eggs are like a tan/grey colour. There are about 4 white ones within the mass. I have another tank so I think ll remove the other fish to give the eggs a chance. thanks for your help :)

Yw. :) Mhm it just happens that I do a lot of research into Texans and Green Texans and their variants/hybrids. XD I was quite surprised as well when I first obtained a SGT and looked into it. A bit more info, in case you want it: There's two other 'Texans', the 'Blue Texas' and the 'Red Texas'.

The Blue Texas is a blanket name that is given to both Green Texans and 'true' Texans, specifically for individuals that are blue. So if you ever decide to buy Blue Texans, ask the buyer if it's a Texan or a Green Texan, or at least for a pic for ID.

The Red Texas is a hybrid that can arise from crossing a Texas or Green Texas with a different species of cichlid. Some people use the term 'Red Texas' to label ALL offsprings produced and use the term 'low quality' to signify offsprings that do not quite have the traits wanted, which would include the Texan/Green Texan body shape, their pearlings, and a red body. I personally only regard the ones that do indeed meet all the requirements as Red Texans, the rest are just failed attempts.

Anyways, looking good. :) 4 white ones is very few, one of the parents should be picking them off soon enough. Over time more might and prolly will develop, but you don't have to worry unless too many turn white at a time.

Out of curiosity, what type of flowerhorn do you have and do you have a pic of it? :D Would love to see the flowerhorn (I assume the SGT is the one in your dp).

Hopefully the above link will take you to UTube where you can see both the SGT and the Flowerhorn

Above link is the SGT watching and fanning her eggs.

Above link shows the recent set of eggs, picture taken about 24hrs old. Now alot of them have turned white. I'm guessing they haven't been fertilized.

Can anyone confirm that the Flowerhorn is a male?

Edited by Flanagan001
Link added

Guys take this to the hybrid section pls

flanagan001 why not get another Texas and bred them great looking fish

no need to stick Flowerhorn through them

FJ

I love the SGT, I never intended breeding them as I'm a novice and don't know enough. These two just seem to like each other but Im not convinced the flowerhorn is fertilizing them?. Is he/she even male?

im guessing this has been moved to hybrid, I'll carry on there.

sorry for any hassle, as I said earlier, still learning. :)

Did the flowerhorn go to the eggs and wiggle / drag his junk on the eggs? He pretty much has to follow her to fertilize them.

That being said dude they wil make some pretty ugly babies that will not be either nice flowerhorn or nice Texas.. When hybridising fish a lot of research goes into forming a plan even before any fish have been acquired .. I love flowerhorn and have many of them:) and am not trying to be harsh but I wouldn't personally be trying to keep any of the eggs safe.

Just my 2c

Did the flowerhorn go to the eggs and wiggle / drag his junk on the eggs? He pretty much has to follow her to fertilize them.

That being said dude they wil make some pretty ugly babies that will not be either nice flowerhorn or nice Texas.. When hybridising fish a lot of research goes into forming a plan even before any fish have been acquired .. I love flowerhorn and have many of them:) and am not trying to be harsh but I wouldn't personally be trying to keep any of the eggs safe.

Just my 2c

The first time the flowerhorn did do his bit, but this time he's stayed away. Unless he's done it when I haven't watched.

i don't want ugly babies lol

What can I do to stop it happening again? Just remove the eggs over and over?

Yeah you can just keep removing the rock or whatever they lay on and washing them down the sink they will just rub off... Or you can leave them to get eaten but as the parents get bigger they will get better at guarding them.though the clown loaches will probably enjoy the meal:)

that being said its your tank and fish and if you feel like letting them breed it's your business! The problem lays with the fry growing up and being mistaken for something they are not:( and causing trouble for breeders down the line:(

Fishjunkie is right though you could get a nice Male Texas and breed some pretty fish :)

Yeah you can just keep removing the rock or whatever they lay on and washing them down the sink they will just rub off... Or you can leave them to get eaten but as the parents get bigger they will get better at guarding them.though the clown loaches will probably enjoy the meal:)

that being said its your tank and fish and if you feel like letting them breed it's your business! The problem lays with the fry growing up and being mistaken for something they are not:( and causing trouble for breeders down the line:(

Fishjunkie is right though you could get a nice Male Texas and breed some pretty fish :)

Yeah, I feel sorry for them. They really seem to want babies but, I don't want to create something that shouldn't be.

if I add a male SGT is it likely to click with the female?

what about the Flowerhorn? Will they fight for affection, do I need someone for him too?

I think if you get another male it's likely to turn into fight club with the two boys.. Good excuse for another tank:)

You do have a pretty rare thing going with your tank the way it is.. The combo of the Texas and the others shouldn't work ;) but the fact there is a male flowerhorn that hasn't decided that he need to kill the rest is amazing! If it was me and I wanted the tank to stay the same I would just keep removing he eggs.. There is a good chance that if you take the Texas out to breed in another tank with a male that the dynamics in the original tank will change and it could end up as a single flowerhorn in there.. But I guess I'm just speculating..

Oh sorry, to answer you question. Nah I personally don't think fish or any animal NEEDS to breed to be happy.. I think they have like anything a drive to do so , but by not breeding them I don't think you are doing them a disservice.

Yeah if you don't want them to breed you'll have to remove one of them, or remove the eggs. XD I heard removing one then re-adding it after a few weeks 'reset' the bond, so that may work as well, though that may change up the tank dynamics completely.

It's hard to say exactly what will come out of the two breeding lol. You can let them breed if you want, or yeah, remove the eggs, it's entirely your choice.

P.S. Sorry don't have the time yet to watch the vids. :P

That's what I thought, though I didn't mention it. Seems like it has a black blotch on its dorsal fin.

Either they're both female, or the Flowy is female and the SGT is male, and well males do fan eggs as well. :D

But its your fish, so I'm sure you can see better than us.

The sgt is 100% female it she one laying eggs, FH looks male to me.. One of my males has black script on its dorsal..

Flanagan001, when the tube comes out on the sgt it's big and fat like an eraser on a pencil.. What does the one on the FH look like? The same or Is it a little skinny pointy one? I'm thinking the FH is a male but not mature enough to know what to do yet..

I know Flanagan and Sgt is definitely female but I'm not quite sure on the fh it is a baby from the rd I sold kasman man and one of my old double script strains

I know Flanagan and Sgt is definitely female but I'm not quite sure on the fh it is a baby from the rd I sold kasman man and one of my old double script strains

Can you remember when s/he was born?

The sgt is 100% female it she one laying eggs, FH looks male to me.. One of my males has black script on its dorsal..

Flanagan001, when the tube comes out on the sgt it's big and fat like an eraser on a pt

encil.. What does the one on the FH look like? The same or Is it a little skinny pointy one? I'm thinking the FH is a male but not mature enough to know what to do yet..

The first time we had eggs the FH tube did look skinny and a pointy hook in the end. But, this time it seemed fatter although nowhere near as big ad the SGT.