Poyter

Apistogramma Bitaeniata Flameback

hey not sure if this is the right spot but as they are not common fish thought it might be

we bought these Apistogramma Bitaeniata Flameback as male and female, not sure if they are, can you ppl help us sex them, the photos arent the best but the best we can get atm

thanks

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

Edited by Poyter
put a space between pics

Too hard to tell from those photos. Really do need very clear photos to attempt to sex juvenile Apistogramma.

I had never heard of A. bitaeniata "Flameback" before seeing it on here. My "guess" is that it is a trade name, possibly given by an overseas exporter, to help it sell.

Most of the time Apistogramma are given a location I.D. to distinguish it from other populations of the same species. For example Apistogramma cf. bitaeniata (Rio Yaviari), Apistogramma cf. bitaeniata (Rio Tefé), Apistogramma cf. bitaeniata ( Rio Tigre), etc.

Here is a link to an Apistogramma site that is usually very up to date with species and has many different location variant photographs, Apistogramma (cf.) bitaeniata.

Here's a photo of mine when I used to keep them a few years ago.

bitpair1.jpg

Finally I found a discussion on Apistogramma.com started by Cav of QLDAF fame, asking for an I.D. of this species. It seems that Mike Wise is of the same opinion. In Apistogramma circles, Mike Wise is recognised as one of (if not THE) the foremost world authorities on apistos.

P.S. it's worth reading the last post from Mike and the post from regani (another QLDAF local) to get an idea on how to keep and breed them.

Edited by pk333
p.s.

I ordered 6 of A. bitaeniata in June for Vicki as a special order. She took all 6. Were those hers?

If the same then they aren't "Flameback" They were ordered as "Apistogramma Bitaeniata Red Back". This was a German Bred line of Peruvian origins (Nanay). Not from Bayfish. Hope this helps. The rest of the bitaeniata that I have had in were just wild caught normals.

yes, I 1 pair of them off vicki and sold them to poyter. They were sold to me as apistogramma bitaeniata flambacks WC

Edited by BRISSY

I ordered 6 of A. bitaeniata in June for Vicki as a special order. She took all 6. Were those hers?

If the same then they aren't "Flameback" They were ordered as "Apistogramma Bitaeniata Red Back". This was a German Bred line of Peruvian origins (Nanay). Not from Bayfish. Hope this helps. The rest of the bitaeniata that I have had in were just wild caught normals.

that makes more sense

so many apistos, and so few braincells left to remember them

funny-pictures-56.jpg

I can tell you that the source for these guys was Glaser. They will have more information on where and how they sourced them than me. I usally get a list on what is available that looks kinda like:

[TABLE=width: 638]

[TR]

[TD]Blue Firefly Betta[/TD]

[TD]Betta Dimidiata[/TD]

[TD]3cm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Zebra Betta[/TD]

[TD]Betta patoti[/TD]

[TD]5cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gold Dragon Betta [/TD]

[TD]Betta Unimaculata[/TD]

[TD]4cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Green Mask Betta [/TD]

[TD]Betta Pugnax[/TD]

[TD]5cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Green Spot Betta [/TD]

[TD]Betta Cocinna[/TD]

[TD]3cm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Blue Ninja Betta [/TD]

[TD]Betta Strohi[/TD]

[TD]5cm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

There usually aren't pictures involved. I know that Vicki thought that these Red Backs were the ones that she was wanting, but as they came in at 3cm, she thought that it wasn't the morph that she desired. I can't order in pairs either and that is why we ordered 6 knowing that there would be a fair chance of a viable pair or two.

not a problem so how rare are these fish? or would it be better if we brought them in or get dff to come and have a look to see what they really are? still like the fish just would like to know if we should keep them separated or put them back in with our other fish

Try get some better pictures. You dont want to stress them out any more than you need too. And yea apisto's are not my speciality. I am happy to come over, but it shall be to jump in your pool, not ya fish tank!

poyter def both female bitaniata.Have breed 3 colour strains over the last 7 years unfortunatly ony have 4 blue and 4 yellow girls myself.There are some breeders in sydney with fry growing up at the moment so when i here they are ready Ill post it up.These breeders will send them and pack them well.

Sorry, I may have missed it, are you keeping them with other Apisto's?

As for rarity, they were only on offer on that one order form in the last 12 months. Vicki had been asking for them for yonks before they came up as available - I keep a wishlist for the customers. I only ordered them in for her, they were not available for sale to any other customer.

But yes please try to get some better pics, please don't stress them with travel in this weather.

no they are in their own tank atm but if they are not that rare will go in with our discus, festivum, small ghost knife and clown loaches, but if they are rare then they will stay by themselves

Well from those photos I agree with Daydream, both female. I had a suspicion they were female from your original photos, as the black edges to pelvic fins are highly visible. This is a trait that is common to female apistos. But I didn't want to voice my suspicion without better photos.

I agree looks strongly like the females. I too have a mate in Sydney breeding them (probably the same mate :) ) so between those of us on the lookout for you, someone should come up with something. I'll pm you if I find any confirmed males.