Poyter

Apistogramma Bitaeniata Flameback

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

The problem with sexing young dwarfs is you tend to have to go via the black markings as the colours and finage have not yet developed. In the first set of pictures I would have said two girls. The problem is black markings can also indicate stress.......This picture is hinting at the development of the filaments in the dorsal, and lacking the black ventrals. I would give them a bit of time as this looks like a boy.

I would give them time, make sure your water is soft and acidic, target a pH of around the 6 mark. A glass bottom is not the best either as the reflections can stop a fish showing it's true colour.

I would like to see photos as these develop. The most common bitaeniata are yellow and blue morphs. (generally you buy a colour rather than a location with these fish. Obviously Red Back/Flame Back is not a locality and a marketing name..... The fun and games with Wild Apistis is if the fisherman can't find new fish, they sell the same fish with a different name)

Thats interesting, looking forward to seeing them when they are bigger as they have another 3-4cm to grow as far as I know. Sorry to sell you 2 females if that is the case. They were sold to me as a pair and I never asked a second opinion.

This is a male flame back when fully grown:

I got some indian almond leaves you can have for free (if you don't have any). I can post them to you next time I'm in brisbane, just pm me your address.

Ok, good to here you got a male and female now. Pics of the male?

I am going to brisbane to a fishing show tomorrow night so will try and post them then...