rainbowrunner

Collecting on Northside brisbane

Was a great morning out around Woodford, & great to meet you, [MENTION=11502]Darrell[/MENTION]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45792[/ATTACH]

Can anyone id the fish in the pic

A couple more pics of today's mystery fish, in the hope of a positive ID:

post-12004-14711630722356_thumb.jpg

post-12004-14711630722629_thumb.jpg

The above two were taken immediately after capture, showing darker colouration & distinct vertical bars. Within 2 minutes of capture, all fish lost the dark colouration & vertical bars, & lightened up considerably with light horizontal bars (as per photo from [MENTION=11502]Darrell[/MENTION] above)?!?

Nice catches mate, 2nd pic is of juvie tilapia, recommended course of action is to brick them & then bin them

Thanks for the id mate we found them in Sandy ck they were as thick as flys at a bbq there was schools of them everywhere caught about 20 or more in one trap

Thanks

Darrell

Edited by Darrell
Wrong creek name

Wow this threads very impressive, how hard is it to catch the PSGs? I used to breed them a couple of years ago. I hate snakes, never seen them down here but when I went back to Townsville they were every where, I almost stood on one at Ross river, never been shocked in my life!:eek:

Soo anaconda doesnt stock the rectanglular bait nets only the illegal opera house nets (at least in vic) so ill have to get them in QLD. Where did everyone get theirs? Any where near maroochydore would be perfect!

kmart big w will all have em mate

Soo anaconda doesnt stock the rectanglular bait nets only the illegal opera house nets (at least in vic) so ill have to get them in QLD. Where did everyone get theirs? Any where near maroochydore would be perfect!

Thanks, i got them at rays outdoors.

I caught lots of rainbows at obi obi on saturday.

Today i was at north pine river and got lots of glass fish, hardyheads, blue eyes, rainbows, gudgeons including 1 PSG, lots of sword tails which are drying on the road and some spangled perch.

There was also a massive turtle abit upsteam.

Drove up to the Caloundra turnoff today, & then worked my way back through Landsborough & the Glasshouse region. The majority of creek crossings I explored (those not in either a National Park or State Forestry Zone) were nothing more than sludge puddles - many of the creeks up that way could do with a good influx of fresh water to flush out all the muck & algae.

Ended up finding a nice spot on Six Mile Creek, with heavily tanin-stained water - was very surprised to find over 20 Rainbows in the trap after only 25 minutes, & not a single other species...best of all, not a single feral! I brought home a few of the Rainbows which are a much darker colour than I've seen elsewhere around the northside, with a good percentage of black along their sides which really makes the red & yellow pop:

post-12004-14711630828678_thumb.jpg

post-12004-14711630829221_thumb.jpg

post-12004-1471163082943_thumb.jpg

So my obi obi creek rainbows are settling in well, only one north pine blue eye survived, and the PSG jumped out!!! Dam.

I just made a spawning mop and the big males guarding it trying to entice any female who swims past, also one of the cherabins is berried so I'll isolate her in one of the green water tubs out the back.

how come you cant fish at searys creek rhysl

ooo, i saw Tin Can up there! Should really check out Searys Creek. Its awesome there, huge schools of rainbows (crimsons im

guessing) eel tailed catfish and crays getting around everywhere... the only downside is you cant fish there :D

(

underwater vid of how many fish are there...)

but every crossing you go over has the same stuff. ive thrown a few traps in over by the military base and ended up with-

southern longfin eels

crimsons

purple gudgens

firetail gudgeons

blue claw

shrimp

and some *mystery* fish.

if people are still going out n' about

how come you cant fish at searys creek rhysl

Searys Ck is part of the Great Sandy National Park so you can look but dont touch

Thanks

Darrell

Edited by Darrell

and I personally know people who have been fined

sad to say, but so they should be. The area is just amazing!

And the rangers are always around, they must put a lot of time and effort into the place. Theres

a pair of native eel-tailed catfish that you can almost pat that swim around, let alone the yabbies

and all sorts of stuff you find just swimming around in the daytime.

But, all-in-all, its a beut place for a picnic and a swim, and if you want some of the fauna from the

area toddles, just dive around the army camp until you find a creek to throw a trap in!

sad to say, but so they should be. The area is just amazing!

And the rangers are always around, they must put a lot of time and effort into the place. Theres

a pair of native eel-tailed catfish that you can almost pat that swim around, let alone the yabbies

and all sorts of stuff you find just swimming around in the daytime.

But, all-in-all, its a beut place for a picnic and a swim, and if you want some of the fauna from the

area toddles, just dive around the army camp until you find a creek to throw a trap in!

The same ornate rainbowfish(never seen a duboulayi in Searys ever) and colour forms can be found in other creeks towards hervey bay from there so there is no need to be fishing searys anyway.

Swimming and snorkelling there is great too, the eels, catfish and crayfish all eat out of your hand as you can see in the video below

Edited by rainbowrunner

gues thats a great raeson not to fish there lol !! wasnt after red cheeks i saw in a book once a rainbowfish from tincan bay looked very similiar to a boesmani but different still and really awsome but have never seen it on any othere references let alone shops