batters

still learing - few questions

ok ive breed africans a few years ago in my younger days, and have some ob peacock fry coming along nicely now. my yellows are breeding size now and ive had 4 mouthfuls since chrismas when they started. stripped 2 and im wondering what the average brood size should be for yellows? i stripped the first spawn and just stripped the last and got 12 and 13. also noticed that the fry grow very slowly. also alot of my breeders are shallow in the belly regardless of amount of feed, have heard that yellows are subject to this but should i worm them anyway? (havent done that to fish before) all other africans i have have full bellys when well feed.

cheers

mick

Hi Mick,

Electric yellow fry are quite large and their first few spawns are usually quite small. As the females get bigger the size of the spawns will gradually increase. Even when fully grown, my colonies usually average only around 35 per mouthful, which isn't a lot for an mbuna. Electric yellow fry are also the slowest growing of all my mbuna, apart from possibly Melanochromis joanjohnsonae. I had to stop putting the electric yellow fry in with the other mbuna fry as the others, particularly maingano and pindani, would grow twice as quickly and I was losing a lot of the yellow fry to bullying by the much larger others.

Cheers, Doug

thanks doug breeders are looking great in there with some nice demosoni, almost would pass as a display tank. yellows are good size now, im thinking they could put out 20+ in the next couple of batches. theres a few good size females. unfortunetly i lost the batch i was planning on an airstone below a strainer as you had done, unfortunetly i couldnt find it so had them in a fry saver with an airstone inside, unfortunetly the fry saver lowered and and the current took the young fry over and out of the saver. still have 9 great yellows tho for future batches. im just not excited about them having sunken bellies (not to serious and still breading) i'll try and mix the food up a bit more, see if that helps. water quaility is well above most general aquairists would keep thier tanks at but trying to improve by removing the sand from one tank, so no subsrtaits at all.

hey doug, interested in some fry from that very nice sulfur crest litho you had. but definetly want fry from that male only, if you can pm me when you have some and i'll organise some time to get back there.

cheers

mick

Hey Mick,

That colony of lithobates is only just starting to breed now, there are 3 or 4 girls currently holding and I hope to strip my first fry next week. So will be a while before they are up to size. The colour on the males is amazing now they are bigger.

Cheers, Doug

hey doug i'll pass on the sulfur crests for now anyway as i dont have space, at least i know where to get some.

as for the yellows stripped one the other day and 31! so all good. set up is better now all doing well no visable losses and egg sacks are almost gone so i'll start feeding them tomorrow so if their interested.

mick