Just wondering what the generally concensis is about big rock piles in tanks. Should I put down egg crate underneith them and is it alright to lean rocks against the back of the tank? I'm just wondering this as I can't really see me being able to stack rocks high enough to get the look I want witout resting some against the back of the tank. Tank is a monster 4x19x18 lol made from 10mm glass all round and not so fussed about scratching the back of the tank, just worried about cracking the thing.

hiya buddy

i am juss doing up some huge rock piles in my 7fter for my tropheus, they are sandstone and look awesome, i have used eggcrate underneath them, and laid them out in such a way that only one point on one pile touches the glass but is not bearing weight.

In my experience, do not lean your rock piles onto your glass with weight holding in mind, by this i mean dont use the glass as a point of holding the pile up, that is asking for trouble in some cases.

I try to set the piles out on the floor first so i get a picture of what theya re going to look like in the tank then see if they will sit on their own and balance (stable) another trick is to set them up with no water in the tank and use aquarium silicone and silicone them together and allow to set before adding water, antoehr safe way to do it.

i will post a few pics of my MASSIVE rock piles for u to have alook at.\

Ray

HTH's :egeek2:

I wouldn't silicone them together unless you know you can lift the whole pile out of the tank.

The biggest problem I used to have with rock piles was when you need to catch fish, you had the task of pulling out one rock at a time and they never seemed to go back the same. I turned to using one or two larger rocks to make caves and or drilled holes, also using one massive rock as a feature.

Like below:

This is the same 6x2x2 tank in both shots. The first is when I had cyprochromis school in it so left more open water for them and used sand and sandstone, the second is it's current config with Tropheus Ikola, I changed form the sand and sandstone as it had been like that for about 6 years to a black gravel and lava rock(not sure scientific name).

IMG_1727.JPG

You can't see the big rock to the left clearly, but underneath it has caves drilled into it and ledges for the fish to shelter in. I have bread from a school of 3 Tropheus Ikola to around 25 so plenty of hiding areas for young fry and fish to stay safe.

IMG_5415.jpg

the idea of silicone is not to bind the rocks together to make a super rock, hahaahah thats juss silly shite matey, the idea is to add security to a rock pile if needed, rocks that are siliconed can be removed at ease.

I have looked at yer tanks and they are nice but very sparce, the cyp tank needs more height and depth, cyps whilst being mid to top dwellers really do appreciate some cover also, the tropheus tank again whilst nice is very bare to me, not much happening. and the last tank again whilst nice doesnt offer any hidey holes etc, it is easy to catch fish once you know how, and believe me i have been doin it for many many years.

Again whilst your tanks are nice i think u can rock em up harder :)

will post some pics soon

thanks

raymundiehaterofundiesorhyundiesforthatmatter

Yeah I was wanting to do like a large pile in each corner with a much lower lying rock formation through the middle kind of like a vally of rocks. Just with my gf's mbuna tank i've found it hard to stack rocks much higher then 20cm, the only thing I can really think of is start with larger rocks at the base to get the extra height wanted.

like any building matey

stable foundation then work your way up

my tank is alittle cloudy due to the sand, as soon as she clears up i will post pics,

but yeah start with some good size ones or smaller platform rocks and work up

once u get the hang of it all sweet

Ray

Cool yeah always sounds simple once you hear it just wasn't really thinking, worst part is when I construct it out of the tank I always lose the vision inside the tank and it just never looks as good.

Ok i got a few dodgy pics of my piles (thanks for the cream Borntobreed) :lol:

this is in a 7x2x2.5 tank, 2 piles one on each end, mid water swimmimg space for the cyps, and plenty of hidey holes for the tropheus

no rocks leaning on glass, egg crates underneath them in sections, and best of all no wobbles, to give u an idea of height the triangular one is about 3 inches from water level so it is high, the other one still has one level to go on. Hope it gives u some ideas :)

Raymundiedoesntwearundies

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rocks1.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock4.jpg

Shanks

Hiya Ray nice piles mate. Just one quastion is that sand stone a little soft like could you file it easy or even say cut it? i was digging through some down the coast and brought some home just little scared it break down to quick.

Thanks Jamie

Sandstone is fine in a tank and won't break down, I ran some for 4 years in my 6x2x2. You can also drill and sculpt it if you want I used a masonry bit and hammer drill to weaken sections and rock chisel, mini sledge and brick bolster to remove smaller sections.

Your piles have nice height Ray, just a little to open and artificial looking for my liking.

After looking at the dub photos in the other phtot forum the piles look a lot nicer in those shots.

awwww shanks sweetlips,,,,,,, i fink they look sexy as well,,,,, and i like piles,,,,, i have gone another story on one of them looks gr8,,,,, does look nicer wiff the fish,,,,, and i do like your piles as well,,,, :)

hiya row row row ya boat gently in the tank!!!!!!!!

its lookin gnice to start off with, maybe just get a few more flat rocks to build some spawning sights on, landscapers at Mango hill have some awesome rocks for this application :)

but a good starting point.....

:)

Yeah it's only temporary tanks is only a 2x1x1 with 7 small knights will be getting some bigger rocks once I move my natives into my 6ft. Then i'll have a 3x18x18 for the knights and what ever other mbuna I get.