liquidg

An ID on a strange squishy little land mine shaped,something?

Check this one out guys,its around six mil and then the extensions,so the longest from one extension to the other from right to left is around 40 mil

I have had it for over a year and find the weird little thing amusing.

It hasn't moved in the whole year it has been in there.

I try to move it and the extensions just stretch and so i stop so it doesn’t harm it.

To the best of what i can see it harms nothing at all.

I assume it's an opportunistic feeder as in planktonic maybe.

I have sat fish on it to see if it has a sting and it harms nothing, including my more sensitive wrist skin.

It is soft but spongy and firm.

The extensions reach out and contract very slowly.

And it is in the shade always.

Any opinions as to what it is that will lead to its Latin name?

thing-2-.jpg

My orange thing gave birth??

This thing that I can not get identified has made another one of its self, what it is I have no idea and by the looks of things the new one has taken the originals position.

orange-thing-and-juvenile-_zpsda367b2b.jpg

Thats where i go for everything.

I send an email to Jeff the ichiologost there and he passes me onto some one who knows if they dont.

Maybe one day some one will be sure on it.

I have nothing what so ever that’s purchased that was or isalive, it’s all collected, this thing was under a rock at half that size while Iwas looking for some varied toxic sponges.

I realise there is potential for it to be a sponge at a glancebut there are no sponges I have collected or seen that acts or looks like this!

I don’t use live rock, not for many years and never wouldagain, so it was something I got for my bottom tank as I thought it lookedcolourful.

So it put it in my tubs that are my quarantine areas andholds the dotty back as it changes and tube worm breeding,a couple of pets andI forgot about it until a few months back.

It has to be toxic because nothing has touched it and therehas been all types of tangs,angelfish,shrimps,triggers,heaps of harmful and nonharmful mouths and nippers and non have touched it in all that time.

I got an email from the museum today while at work andthey are onto a group not in Auz that may be able to ID it, fingers crossed.