Thanks for the input guys. Guess i wasn't as much shocked by how expensive our fish are(although some are horrendously expensive). Was more shocked by how extremely cheap the same sort of fish are in Singapore. Pretty crazy but the reasons have been covered by some of you guys so thanks heaps.

Money is no issue for me either, but you'd have to be just plain dumb to pay $35 for a 2.5cm M. auratus. And yes, I'm not making that price up.

I suppose, some stores/people are out there hoping to rip people off to make a buck, rather than gaining a customer base via reputation. Of course, store prices need to cover expenses and I don't begrudge that at all!

its pretty simple really,

don't like the price, don't buy,

don't like the seller, find somebody else selling the fish you want,

or go down the creek and catch your own, (as long as your happy being limited to only owning creek caught fish) :)

i don't see how anybody can say sellers are out to make a quick buck or to rip others off, seller sets the price, buyers can buy or not buy, how is that ripping anybody off,

Considering the size a redtail cat gets to I think it's a good thing they are so outrageously expensive. We have enough feral fish in our waterways as it is, how bad would it be if we could get RTC's for 35 bucks? Our waterways would be decimated if people started dumping them the way they dump other fish.

As for other fish, the laws of supply and demand tend to dictate the price. We have a relatively small population and an even smaller population of fish keepers. When demand is low, price increases and vice versa. If you want the prices to drop you need to increase the demand, this will increase the number of suppliers as many more breeders will want a piece of the action, increasing competition and that's when prices will drop.

I dont think its "ripping" people off to make a buck...yeah the price might be high..to you..someone who knows they can get it cheaper....you can still choose to buy...if you do your research and know what your talking about then yep you should be able to find the value....you cant base a fish's value on what you see on a forum...this is where people sell at less than wholesale in a lot of cases....we're pretty lucky to have forums that supply fish we enjoy at a cheap price......bit like having a chocolate forum that sold mars bars for 20c.....one gets fat the other gets multiple tank syndrome....

I see your point, but exploiting people new to the hobby is a bit low. This particular store also told me that I had to replace my gravel monthly. It's little wonder they're failing as a business.

Most shops sell the common mbuna for $10-$20 per fish, so I'm not comparing to the forum. 8)

How did this turn into a 'let's rag on non-native fish' thread? XD

Meh whatever the case it boils down to 'You don't want to pay that price? Don't buy the fish.' and that's all that it is. Non-native or not.

Bullrouts for example, are hugely expensive compared to many cichlids, despite their plain coloration. It's because people don't breed them en masse, and they're rarer. T_T I miss my bullrouts.

well said steve, by the way, you woulldnt mind if i drop a line or net in the big creek running under your house? lol :P

.not sure if they be WC, but im sure you'd be wild if I got caught lol

hahahaha pmsl

Is anyone else not amazed at how cheap these fish are in Singapore.

Not really! I'm not buying fish there so the price there is irrelevant to me. Singapore might only have a population of 5 million but their close proximity to Malaysia and Indonesia, not to mention the rest of SE Asia gives them a much higher profile. I don't pretend to know all the importation laws they have, if any, but I'm guessing they aren't as restricted as we are in Australia. As I said in my 1st post I don't see that as a bad thing as I'd rather keep our waterways free of some of these fish and think paying extra is worth it just for that.

Not really. If you do a fair bit of research on the fish you like and would like to buy, you come across many Asian, UK and USA sites and see how cheap some fish are overseas. And it's not restricted to live stock either. Much of the hardware we use is soooo much cheaper overseas. Eheim & Jager are so much cheaper in Europe and the USA, a lot of the planted tank equipment is so much cheaper in Asian markets.

But higher Australian prices aren't restricted to the Aquarium Industry. Pick a hobby or sport and you'll find overseas prices are generally much cheaper than Australian prices. There are many hobbies or sports where overseas online retailers are having an adverse impact on Australian brick and mortar stores, as you can buy products online and have them posted to you for less than half the cost of walking in to a store and buying it off the shelf.

I'm surprised more people don't explore the viability of buying online from overseas. Of course I understand the probable problems of warranty being honoured.

Is anyone else not amazed at how cheap these fish are in Singapore. I was astounded. If I didn't love my job so much I would consider a move :-) Singapore is a pretty sweet spot.

A mate of mine lives there, but he doesn't keep fish. He does love it, for the most part. However, he's not a fan of the bubblegum ban, lol.

Not really. If you do a fair bit of research on the fish you like and would like to buy, you come across many Asian, UK and USA sites and see how cheap some fish are overseas. And it's not restricted to live stock either. Much of the hardware we use is soooo much cheaper overseas. Eheim & Jager are so much cheaper in Europe and the USA, a lot of the planted tank equipment is so much cheaper in Asian markets.

But higher Australian prices aren't restricted to the Aquarium Industry. Pick a hobby or sport and you'll find overseas prices are generally much cheaper than Australian prices. There are many hobbies or sports where overseas online retailers are having an adverse impact on Australian brick and mortar stores, as you can buy products online and have them posted to you for less than half the cost of walking in to a store and buying it off the shelf.

I'm surprised more people don't explore the viability of buying online from overseas. Of course I understand the probable problems of warranty being honoured.

Yer, I've noticed. They can't say it's our low Australian dollar anymore either. I don't mind paying more in store IF the shop has knowledgeable employees, and have good practices in general. 8)

Global economics... Its cheaper to live there so everthing is cheap. Ever got a parcel shipped from US or UK. Thats what importers (massive cost in shipping) have to deal with and death in q and increasing overheads and wages etc coz of unions demanding higher wages becuase people have bad spending habits. For a importer its gone thru a few hands already from catchers and breeders, brockers to exporters etc all putting there markups. I dont begrudge shops for prices. Im sure u all seen aquarium shops come and go so you can c that they are not making a quick buck. You want cheaper prices people need to breed fish in scale to sell to wholesalers

But higher Australian prices aren't restricted to the Aquarium Industry. Pick a hobby or sport and you'll find overseas prices are generally much cheaper than Australian prices. There are many hobbies or sports where overseas online retailers are having an adverse impact on Australian brick and mortar stores, as you can buy products online and have them posted to you for less than half the cost of walking in to a store and buying it off the shelf..

It's not just price though. I play a lot of squash and racquet availability in Australia is pathetic. Apart from a very limited range at a couple of chain sports stores the only place you can buy a squash racquet in Australia is at the dwindling squash courts and there you're limited to whichever brand the owner is affiliated with, and even then the range is limited. I have bought my last 2 racquets from the USA and not only have I saved a bundle, I've been able to buy racquets that just aren't available here. The brand is but the model I've wanted isn't.

I know that's nothing to do with fish but I'm agreeing with what pk333 says, it's not limited to the fish industry.

It's got nothing to do with the Australian dollar (ok it does), but rather on Australian Sole Distribution Rights. Many overseas manufacturers and/or wholesalers have an agreement with an individual importer in Australia which means that individual or company is the only person/company allowed to legally import products (or range) from X manufacturer. This individual/company marks the product up by what ever percent, lets say 100% and then on sells to LFS here in Australia.

As Australia is a small market, many overseas manufacturers prefer to deal with a Sole Rights Distributor as this individual orders in bulk (and receives a discount for doing so) rather than dealing with hundreds of small businesses ordering small quantities of products.

Going back a few years Eheim had a deal in place where Australian online stores could not sell Eheim products below a recommended price. This was to protect both the LFS and Sole Rights Distributor, as why would LFS buy from the Sole Rights Distributor if he/it was selling his products cheaper to online stores. Some LFS would also sell at this price (I knew of two in Brisbane at this time) but the majority of LFS sold at more expensive prices. Of course a LFS has higher costs than an online retailer.

At the end of day I know very little about the ins and outs of Sole Distribution Rights, but I know it exists, and is one of the reasons why products cost much more in Australia. The more links in the chain between the manufacturer and the retailer/consumer the more an item will cost.

Edited by pk333

Seems that Costco (or whatever it's called?) is wanting to operate here, but was being blocked by other shops? Anyway, I'm sure more hobby goods will be available here as we will be one of the few places left with people who can actually afford hobbies, lol.

I'm a newbie and this forum has helped me out alot as for prices overseas and in oz like anything over here and there labor cost is the main factor in price but when I buy a fish of this forum chances are that fish Has been brought up on spectrum and not chicken **** from the farm next do as they do in thailand I don't mind driving about for the day to check out Lfs and you soon are able to establish the cream from the crap and getting back to the topic 99% of Lfs are small business with guys that are making bugger all profit and seam to be there for the love of the fish I could not haggle with these guys, when they talk to me about the $10 I'm buying for half an hour. support your Lfs and make sure they are there for years to come.

Always this thread. Maybe we should just sticky one so people can see it.

Our cost of living is too high and our market is too small. The end. The price of a can of Coke tells the biggest story.

I was just in Hawaii and went to a big chain shop. TR marine fish were pretty inexpensive compared to Aussie prices - orchid dotty $30, but then common fantail was $3! Looked at the dry goods and a Fluval 406 was similar to the prices we pay here. Most likely shipping costs, cost of living is higher there than on the mainland, and the pet sector is very small.

There are so many variables wherever you go. Some European prices may seem smaller but their taxes are even higher than ours. Smaller pay packets.

Sometimes it pays to buy online - as someone mentioned for his obscure hobby it's better. Try to find a proper sized Nerd football here :) just buy it on amazon plus the $20 extra to get it here. However, everytime we buy online that is more money squeezed out of our neighbours, friends and family, those are the people who are working at those shops.

Times are getting tougher. I live near beaudesert road, almost every time I come home I see a shop front now empty with a rental sign out front. You can't tell me every single one was a bad owner trying to gouge his customer base. My family stopped making Australian made fishing rods because they couldn't buy the fiberglass and pay the staff for what they are mass producing in china. Poof another business gone.

Who knows what will be our future but this topic is moot. Don't like the price on that guppy? Don't buy it. Use all your time and effort and petrol to find another that suits you. We aren't Sri Lanka so no point in trying to fit their economy onto an Australian scale.