Hi All,

As a newbie and a newcommer, the quickest way for me is to learn from all the great experienced ppl about Australian native aquarium fish. Would it be helpful for everyone like me to see a nice picture showing your great native fish?

It will be very informative as well to have the name and some quick notes introducing your native fish. Please post one or many pictures showing your native fish. I will LIKE all of them, and believe many will do the same. Thanks.

Cheers.

Hi mate, thought I would try and help too, mostly rainbowfish shots :)

Empire gudgeon 'oxley creek'

P1120546Copy.jpg

M. splendida 'deep water creek'

P11601551024x768.jpg

M. trifasciata 'Goyder River'

z1024x768.jpg

M. trifasciata 'Coen River'

P11403571024x768.jpg

M. duboulayi 'unknown source - some creek in nsw'

SAM_06651024x768.jpg

& if you're thinking of starting a small little tank, these little shrimps are awesome

Chameleon shrimps - can change colours

SAM_11371024x768.jpg

DSCN90921024x768.jpg

Chameleon in the front, large caridina typus at the back

SAM_11691024x768.jpg

Caridina zebra

DSCN96971024x768.jpg

All the fish posted above are native. Hope that helped aye.

Cheers,

John

All lovely, can I see pbass as our native fish too as it can be caught in Goldcoast?

Happy to be corrected but I think you'll find pbass are a south american cichlid. If you can catch them on the Goldie they have been released illegally. Unlees you are talking about something other than the peacock bass.

Peacock Bass at the Gold Coast in the wild??? Don't think so unheatedtank but if you can tell me where I will go try and catch me some :) Please tell me it's true. Probably not a good thing environmentally but if they're already there I am gonna enjoy it while I can. And bring them home and put them in my tank of course :).

Coal grunter are like mini jacks, I had one when I was mainly a livebearer breeder, just as a culling machine........... but an easy fish to grow attached to.

Lost mine due to adding a super aggressive sooty grunter to the tank.

they didnt play nice

art-353-shark-300x0_zpse5fb4dc1.jpg

Dammit I want those zebra!

soon as I have a spare tank, the hunt shall be on!

I believe I was one of the first few to try these native shrimps before the hype that started a few years ago/before Bob was selling these cute little shrimps. These were generously sent to me for free by Matt (Bob's friend) to try and were wild caught I think :D

I did get a few to carry eggs but unfortunately within a month, all of them had disappeared :(

Ive heard Bob and a few others up north have been breeding them and have gone through a few generations so hopefully they should be a lot hardier when you give a crack at them. Also a few interesting colour patterns have developed such as the 'native king kongs' and 'native snow whites' ;)

Edited by netty_3164

I believe I was one of the first few to try these native shrimps before the hype that started a few years ago/before Bob was selling these cute little shrimps. These were generously sent to me for free by Matt (Bob's friend) to try and were wild caught I think :D

I did get a few to carry eggs but unfortunately within a month, all of them had disappeared :(

Ive heard Bob and a few others up north have been breeding them and have gone through a few generations so hopefully they should be a lot hardier when you give a crack at them. Also a few interesting colour patterns have developed such as the 'native king kongs' and 'native snow whites' ;)

They are certainly my tip for the next IN thing. Thinking they will hit around about when jellyfish also become IT.

But ya you look at a king kong and then look at what it was linebred from!

lol

then look at how awesome the NATURAL native zebra shrimp look!

the potential is obscene

and yet it seems to be building so slowly.........

question is, how long until they are smuggled into asia?

imagine those kids are pretty desperate to get their mits on them.

675270-hottest-amended_zpsfbc2aa7c.jpg

hobart is lovin it!

The zebras are definitely hot property, in high demand and have lots of potential. Actually, imo having Asian breeders get hold of these shrimps wouldn't be too bad. It would be really interesting to see what colors or other features they can develop :P

Anyhow, Ill definitely give these guys another go again in the future.

Oh also, there have been some pretty unique shrimps discovered lately, quite similar to the colors of the Sulawesi shrimps. Hopefully one day my puddle jumping trips will hit the jackpot and ill discover some cool new shrimps of my own :)