antg

How long does activated carbon last??

I have two aquatopia internal filters, one small one in my daughters tank and another in my tank along with a canister filter. My question is how long will the carbon last? Can I simply rinse the sponge (which is hollowed out and filled with carbon) out in tank water and reuse, or does it only last a certain amount of time?

How long is a bit of string?

The frequency of changing carbon is decided by the quality of the carbon AND the waste levels it is exposed to AND the level of chemical filtration you require.

You can use the sponge until it is falling apart

but make sure you only clean it using water taken from the aquarium the filter is running on.

Thanks DFF, I always rinse filter parts in the tank water I've removed from the tank. Wasn't sure whether I could just keep using the carbon along with the rinsed filter sponge or not. Think I might just replace the carbon every time I rinse the sponge out, better to be over cautious I guess.

thats what I usually do if its cheap carbon hey.

I get 5kg of carbon at aoa for $30 so its no drama to replace a small amount, lasts forever.

BUT if its rowa or vertex carbon, then ya get way way longer.

Sometimes you dont really need it though, and a lot of time I just replace the carbon with a bit of corse foam.

That way I can just quickly squeeze it out.