jayyyd_

filter curiosity give opinions

I believe this filter works in a similar fashion to an aquaponics bed where plants use the end product of the nitrogen cycle (Nitrate) as a fertilser to aid their growth, the plants absorb the waste through their roots thus entirely removing it from the water. The Plants themselves don't act as the filter but instead remove the nitrate and other nitrogenous waste helping to reduce maintenance. Hope that made sense.

I believe this filter works in a similar fashion to an aquaponics bed where plants use the end product of the nitrogen cycle (Nitrate) as a fertilser to aid their growth, the plants absorb the waste through their roots thus entirely removing it from the water. The Plants themselves don't act as the filter but instead remove the nitrate and other nitrogenous waste helping to reduce maintenance. Hope that made sense.

Would this also work in a saltwater tank ?

I have an aquaclear 30/150 . would you just remove the filter media , add substrate as plants and run the filter as usual ? and what's to stop the fish from getting pumped back into the main tank .

I have an aquaclear 30/150 . would you just remove the filter media , add substrate as plants and run the filter as usual ? and what's to stop the fish from getting pumped back into the main tank .

Not sure what you're on about with the fish? Shouldn't have fish in the filter at all - only the tank - especially with a small filter like that.

Plants in the hang-on filter can be good for water quality as Aqua Addict said. On my turtle tank I have the return from my canister filter split between the spraybar and a second line which feeds into a DIY overtank trough with hydroton substrate and a mix of Pothos and Peace Lilly plants. The water travels through the substrate and plant roots then out the other end to drain back into the tank. The plants pull nitrates out of the water as it passes through.

With your aquaclear you could do much the same. Just stick some plants in the filter media area and run it as normal. It won't be much of a mechanical filter but it will help water quality. It's best if you have something in there to anchor the plant roots - you could just use some normal glass noodle media for that.

Would this also work in a saltwater tank ?

In a saltwater tank people use a slightly different approach. Well you can certainly use mangroves and many do with great success, they can be hard to source and maintain with proper lighting. An easier option is to run a 'refugium' which is essentially a separate tank (I.e. In the Sump or Hanging on the back) that contains Macro Algae, the algae works in the same way as the plants in the other setup helping to remove nitrate and phosphate as well as providing a safe place for plankton to breed which will then be pumped back into the tank, feeding the coral and fish.

P.S. If your interested in a marine filter involving these principles look up 'Liquidg' (Member on here) and his reef tank it's amazing filtered using only algae.

Edited by Aqua Addict

Aquaclear hangon filters have been the darling of the DIY crowd as far as HOB into refugium conversion goes for like 2 decades now. Do a google search for harpua2002,aquaclear and refugium. Theres even rumours of the official conversion kit coming to Australia for them. Until then though, harpua2002 and hundreds of others show how easy it is. Heck its what people are talking about when ya read "AC70 mod" in a post.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_q0-ZKxitQbk/S47_-NxGvfI/AAAAAAAAAWs/d97pHddHE5I/s800/100_0746.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_q0-ZKxitQbk/S48ACOFJBSI/AAAAAAAAAW4/kUFNDK1JM8k/s800/100_0751.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_q0-ZKxitQbk/S48ANvWwTEI/AAAAAAAAAXA/b2dffNOOQH8/s800/100_0759.JPG