Mitch.0

HELP - Starting up a new tank URGENT

HELP - I have taken today off work to set up my new tank but the #!@@ Coral Sand hasnt arrived in the post yet.

Does it matter if I fill the tank with water, get the canister started and put the gravel in later? Or would that just be a messy disaster?

Im on a time limit as they purchaser of my other tank is picking it up on Friday so really need to get this done today if at all possible.

Gravel will be here tomorrow by the latest so it will still give it a day or so to settle down and I am using the water and part of the media from my old tank to start the new tank up. Im just worried about the gravel damaging the filter if I put it in later.

I have done this plenty of times ,no problems ,wash well , turn of filter ,add gravel/sand to tank ,let settle for a little while ,turn filter back on ,rinse filter the next day ,all good .

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all your help.

Yes, sand has been prewashed 3 times but will still do it again :)

And I love the bottle idea.

Thanks again

yeh the more times you can spend washing the sand before you add it the quicker your tank water will clear. So prewash it as much as you can.

I have changed from sand, to gravel and back to sand a few times with a tank full of water.

if you have just filled your new tank now, as in youve done a water change aswell, then I'd wait a few days or a week til you add the sand so you can immediately do a water change to get rid of some of the cloudy water.