70NKY

Can I use pool chemicals in my tank?

Hello,

I bought a digital ph meter which arrived today so of course I stuck it straight into my tank. Got a reading of 7.5... Then I put it into a glass of tap water and got 7.8... So, my tap water seems good for my Africans. I have a tank of Malawi's with a coupe of others thrown in, kribs, flamebacks, humpheads and some common bn. My question is, can I use pool chemicals in my tank? I can't really see why not. Specifically I'm talking about alkalinity increaser, which is 100% calcium carbonate. I have these chemicals anyway, so why not use the tiny bit it would take to bring the ph up a little. Of course only if it's safe. But I don't see how it couldn't be.

Well, PH UP is Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda, and PH down is monosodium phosphate. So to be certain it's safe just add a bit of bi-carb soda, surely you have some in the cupboard??

I get my stuff to make my rift salts from the pool section in Bunnings.

HYCLOR Calcium increaser - Calcium Chloride , used in conjunction with Magnesium Sulphate ( Epsom Salts ) to increase hardness.

HYCLOR Alkalinity increaser (PH Buffer) - Sodium Bicarbonate , to increase & buffer pH.

Have had no problems at all.

So much cheaper than buying conditioner from the LFS! :)

I wouldn't use Sodium Bicarbonate in my tank, it encourages Algae, best stuff to use are Rift lake cichlid salts by Seachem or one of the better PH boosters. Same thing in the other direction. You could use Pool chlorine neutraliser, people used to, but I don't think it takes out chloromines and ammonia the way prime and other Aquarium neutralisers do. I use pool neutraliser when I have been sterilising tanks and equipment with bleach. I cannot see anything wrong with using pool flocculent in place of aquarium flocculent. I have even used my aquarium phosphate test kit to test the water in my pool after a big rain. It works

I have done all the costing of making your own R/L/Cond.and it cost more to make than buying it from John (the tech den)maybe if you were buying everything in 20kg bags it might,might be a little bit cheaper but not much if any ,and sodium bicarb is cheaper to buy from woolies than pool shop,but with a ph from your tap like that why bother.

I have done all the costing of making your own R/L/Cond.and it cost more to make than buying it from John (the tech den)maybe if you were buying everything in 20kg bags it might,might be a little bit cheaper but not much if any ,and sodium bicarb is cheaper to buy from woolies than pool shop,but with a ph from your tap like that why bother.

I don't know where you shop but I'd be looking a bit harder for your ingredients.

I make 12kg for for under $50.

+ time +petrol FOR 58.50 for 10kg of john why bother making it ,and i dought very much that you can put ALL the ingredient together for that price only a backyard brew with half the goodies,(not like every thing in A/R/L cond.10 differant ingredients)

Edited by PETFISH

dont get me wrong there is nothing the matter with using a 3-4 part mix of ingredients to buffer water ,but it is a guess ,aquasonic R/L/Conditioner is specially formulated with 10 ingredients in the right proportions .

Wow my water (bayside/southeast brisbane) is about 7 from the tap. When I kept malawis I liked to keep the ph around 8-8.2 now iv got tangs I'm keeping it around 8.5. I agree with petfish as in DIY buffers will never have as many ingredients as like seachem or API but can you tell the difference in your fish tanks weather you use brand names or DIY. I can't I use bi-carb, API mineral salt and seachem cichlid lake salt and my tanks are happy as

Thanks for all the replies. I went back down to the shed (twice!) and the stuff I have is sodium bicarbonate, not calcium. So I already have that stuff to raise the ph. Now off to Google how much I need....