Paul13

activated carbon in the planted aquarium

so ive always been told not to use carbon as it removes to many minerals and general hardness from the water.

After reading through many tropical fish hobbyist magazines just about every planted hobbyist is using activated carbon in their filtration

some of these magazines are close to ten years old....

i just use macropore white for clarity.. i have bulk amounts of AC from work i could use as opposed to paying for media

just like to hear everyones opinions

I used to use seachems purigen in my planted tank, I removed it to recharge it and I haven't noticed any difference with water clarity or plant growth.

So, imo it doesnt really matter if you use it or not. I guess a benefit would be its ability to take out some toxins

Activated carbon for planted tanks makes no diference to water peramiteres as after 2-3 weeks it is only a good bio area for bacteria to live as it would of used up all of its chemical drawing abilaty.Most planted tank people around the world including Takashi amano still recomend active carbon when setting up a tank.

yeah everyone says after a few weeks it will leach any ammonia back into the water ...so it wont remove my fertz and trace elements ?

if takashi amano uses it i think i'll be right .. even if i just have it in for a couple of days every water change to polish it up

Activated carbon will remove trace elements and minerals from the tank that your plants need to flourish. If your setting up a planted tank you can start off with carbon to help cycle the tank with your fish, but when the carbon becomes fully saturated I wouldn't recommend replacing it. It will be taking out some of essential elements your plant requires until it becomes saturated.