buddy02

red texas - with or without kok?

who likes a big kok?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. who likes a big kok?

• yes, i love kok !
    • no, not a big fan of kok :-(

Without. A kok makes it not have the Texas/Green Texas body shape, and that's one of the 'desirable' traits of a Red Texas.

Of course what one wants is up to said person, so some people would love to see a kok on a 'Red Texas', but in general no. Because for a fish to be a Red Texas, the general requirements are:

1.) It is a hybrid or descendant thereof.

2.) It has Texas and/or Green Texas blood in it.

3.) It has a red coloration.

4.) It has the Texas/Green Texas body shape.

5.) It has the Texas/Green Texas pearlings.

So yeah. Could still be a magnificent looking fish if it has a kok, but imo it'd not really be a Red Texas since it won't satisfy (4).

PS Yes, although I'm not a big fan of big nuchal humps, even if I was I'd still vote against it for Red Texans. They wouldn't feel like a red version of Texas/Green Texans if they have a kok, so therefore wouldn't seem 'right'.

That is the difference between a RT and a RT Flowerhorn. Other than body shape and kok the line is very blurred...

Red Texas Bp?? Certainly doesn't have texas shape lol

post-704-14711628282027_thumb.jpg

That is the difference between a RT and a RT Flowerhorn. Other than body shape and kok the line is very blurred...

Red Texas Bp?? Certainly doesn't have texas shape lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29361[/ATTACH]

Hence I don't consider it a RT. :) Or will have to label it as a RT BP, if I was to go about talking about that thing.

A red texas is a bright red fish with texas pearling and you would want small kok on your males as quality male texas have kok

Aye. Small kok on a male, one like that on a Texas or Green Texas would be favourable, over a giant kok.

if you like this deformed poor fish ,i would say you love the kok ;)

Was merely a googled example of the point I was making. In so saying though... I don't mind the kok (I do keep flowerhorns these days.....)

okay here is what i think...

we can all agree that a mature red texas or any american cichlid looks better than its juvenile counterpart, and that is because of these kind of features.

stockier body, which in most cases encompasses kok, without any kok the fish's head would just be was to slopey, and that my friends is undesireable.

KOK for the win, i wouldnt have it any other way

I prefer with KOk, but that isn't a true red Texas.. A red Texas should be the shape of a green texas with a red base, the fade to red having turned the pearls white.

With KOK makes it either a super red Texas (wither other defining traits involved) or makes a flowerhorn, Texas or other cross.. Such as red base king Kamfa often confused as an amazing red Texas or super red Texas.. We seem in Australia to have taken on a much more vague classification system for these fish..

I agree with you yoda. :P

Btw, on that topic, the EB trait is a desirable deformity. :P Well yes the blue is nice, but the lesser vigor and all that is linked to the EB. So what's desirable or not varies from person to person.

Anyways yeah personally I don't find nuchal humps to be at all desirable. :P So maybe my version of what's the 'best RT' may be may be skewed, but eh. :P