Tomcat

Is it legal to keep female paradise fish in Qld?

This link shows the list of species you are not allowed to possess, sell, buy, rear, or release in Qld. - its known as the noxious species list or blacklist:

Noxious fish | Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry | Queensland Government

There is also a permitted list of fish for QLD - it lists fish that have been imported legally and you are allowed to keep them.

Non native fish that are not on the permitted list or the noxious list are a grey area at the moment, much like marimo balls. There is no legislation yet present to deal with them. A lot of these fish were brought into the country a long time ago, and are traded freely. Just be careful about where you source your fish from, if they are recent illegal imports you could have AQIS at your door.

Edited by Sacrilicious

Just because a fish is not on the prescribed list does not make it illegal.

In QLD we essentially have 3 lists;

The white list (the official list of "prescribed species" that we are allowed to keep)

The black list (a list of "noxious species" that we are not allowed to keep)

The grey list (an imaginary list containing anything that is not on either of the other lists)

The majority of fish we keep are on the "grey list." As long as they aren't on the black list there is absolutely nothing stopping you from keeping/buying/selling them.

Refer back to the thread from the fisheries guy in what he said in regards to them not enforcing some of the legislation.

Then note that the list as posted at the top is the AQIS import list.

Think and read and you will see the truth :)

As far as I can see female paradise fish are not on either list, therefore they fall into the grey area - people keep them/sell them/swap them freely, and until legislation is drafted to say otherwise you should be relatively safe.

The exception is if you purchase fish that were smuggled illegally into the country (i.e. fish that were not "born" here) - AQIS tends to crack down on that sort of thing because new diseases can be brought in with the fish. Again, be careful about who you are buying fish from, and where they sourced the fish from.

Just to confirm for everyone - females are not importable. A licenced breeder (with full DPI licensing) bred these in Qld for years. As they were on his permit to breed clearly they are not illegal to have. Unless the situation has changed recently (which I don't believe it has) there is no issue in keeping female paradise fish in QLD. Cheers

WUT? Why the hell wouldnt you be able to keep females? Dont they want them bred for some reason? will GodZilla spawn in all the big cities and kill us all?

Stupid fisheries... *grumblemumblewhingequietly*

Oh thank goodness, I was thinking people who keep paradise fish would need to start conducting unusual fin trims on the females and call them exotic Bettas! :P

Oh c'mon people, obviously if it says 'paradise fish (males)' on the whitelist then females are not allowed, otherwise they'd be listed like any other fish on the list.

Anyways yes, so long as it's not on the black list, or is not disallowed via the whitelist, then it's fine.

Well we have a fisheries member on this forum now, so serious question, I have at least 1 female paradise fish.......... should I go kill the poor girl?

I purchased it from a lfs.

I also see paradise fish for sale everywhere....... bit of a weird one really.

Surely importing new males brings more risk of disease than just domestically breeding them?

whats all the talk of lists?

There are only 3 lists- none of them are grey.

qld regulated non-indigenous fish list.

qld Noxious list

aqis allowable import list.

If a fish is not on the QLD regulated (meaning it occurs in the fisheries regulation - ie subordinate legislation to the fisheries act) non-indigenous list it is technically illegal to have in QLD. Simple. The Fisheries act actually says it should be destroyed.

HOWEVER this is not currently enforced - which is why they can be sold and kept.

HOWEVER it can be as it is in the legislation.

It is also the reason you will not be granted an aquaculture permit to commercially breed any fish that is not regulated (i.e. that does not occur in the regulation).

The qld gov currently (and has been) turns a blind eye to any fish that is not noxious.

Just because a fish is not on the prescribed list does not make it illegal.

yes it does. the fisheries act says exactly that.

however, as this section of the act is not enforced - keeping of fish not on the prescribed list has been ''decriminalised"'.

i think the reason they are against females is due to how hardy the fish and if it did get into waterways could cause some major problems for natives. so they try to stop breed happening in the wild by limiting it to one gender and i guess they chose the males due to them being the prettier of the two.

only my opinion

Refer back to the thread from the fisheries guy in what he said in regards to them not enforcing some of the legislation.

Then note that the list as posted at the top is the AQIS import list.

Think and read and you will see the truth :)

Could you all please read this before continueing to comment. There is a white list of approved fish, there is a black fish of noxius fish. Everything else is the grey list, or the not enforced list, or whatever you would like to call it.

The White list does not disallow anything, it is an allowed list only.

i think the reason they are against females is due to how hardy the fish and if it did get into waterways could cause some major problems for natives. so they try to stop breed happening in the wild by limiting it to one gender and i guess they chose the males due to them being the prettier of the two.

only my opinion

This.

Could you all please read this before continueing to comment. There is a white list of approved fish, there is a black fish of noxius fish. Everything else is the grey list, or the not enforced list, or whatever you would like to call it.

The White list does not disallow anything, it is an allowed list only.

So when the white list says 'paradise fish (male)', they're not disallowing female paradise fish?