Hey all. Got myself a black and gold dragoneye goldfish yesterday, and noticed that he sits at the very top of the waterline. He comes down and eats and what not but he spends most of his time up there, not gasping for air, just chilling at the top.

Could this possibly be a swim bladder issue? or is he just shy cause its a new tank?

I know he does not like the current in the water too much, i have slowed it down as much as i like too by adjusting the position of my outlet, yet he tends to chill on top of the internal filter where there is no flow.

Just hoping he is in good health

Michael

Ph:- 7.4

Ammonia:-0

Nitrate:-0

Nitrite:-0

Gh:- dont know

Kh:- dont know

Size of tank:- 45 gallon

Temperature °C:- 25

Been running for:- 12 months

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- 1200 lph internal canister, 750 lph external canister with UV

Fish in tank:- 2 adult calico oranda, 1 baby oranda, 2 albino catfish, 1 unknown 5 cm catfish (black with white spots, white tip on tail), 3 shubinkins and 1 baby dragon eye

Plants in Tank:- no idea what they are called

Feeding:- What food and How often : I probably over feed, but I use a range of different foods, from flakes to sinking pellets, algae wafers for the catfish, and some Nory, usually twice a day. Not all of this at once obviously

Recent Medication Treatments:- none

Last water change:- 3 days

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly - Weekly

He swims around the tank all right, but yes, when he stops flapping his fins, he goes straight up.

Since the moment I brought him home a couple of days ago he has been living on top of my internal filter at the water line. I am guessing this is because there is no flow there and he can just float in that corner without getting thrown around the tank.

Today he has started being very lethargic. Still swims around to get food, but he goes a little topsy turvy and just stops swimming, getting taken on the current in the tank and most often getting stuck up against the side of the filter. I think when this happens, He just stays on the filter inlet (not harmfull, just a normal canister) because he doesn't float away.

So what I have done is put a tupperware container in the tank and put it hard up against the glass with him in it, so I can keep an eye on him. I figure this is a good way for him to just chill out during this mishap and not have to worry about getting hurt. He sits at the top of the tupperware container on his side and doesnt move much.

I just want to know if this is a good idea or not, segregating him like this. I would also like to know if I need to worry that there is no water flowing into the container? Do I need to make something for the water to flow through, or will he be okay in it?

I know I have put a lot of info in this post, and I do apologize, but I would really like to have this little fella make it through this, so I figure more info is better than less.

Thank you in advance,

Michael.

I would add some salt that can help them poop and pass any blockages or trapped air or whatever.. If the container he is in has no water movement and no air bubbles or anything then yes you need to do something or toxins will build up and he will die.. Do you ever feed vegetables? Goldfish need things like duckweed and deshelled frozen peas to aid digestion and they need them regularly to avoid problems. Also most goldfish don't like deep water, especially the types that feed from the bottom. 30cm is about as deep as I keep the water.