G Day.

Started with the hobby in September last year with a 2ft aquarium that I decided was going to be a reef aquarium.

Fast forward 6 months, the 2 ft aquarium is now a tropical Guppy aquarium and I have bought a 3ft tank that I set up as a Tropical with Angels, a Ghost Knife, various Tetra's and a mix of Mollies, Platy's and sword tails. This tank is giving me the most pleasure right now because I barely touch the bloody thing other than a regular water change and prune the plant every week or 2 because they are growing absolutely stupidly.

In January I upgraded the 2ft reef to a 4ft Reef tank and recently lost an Emporer 3 days after I got him and was absolutely devestated. That was closely followed by a Mandarin 12 hours later, 2 Fire Gobies and one of my original fish, a clown. Still at a loss to explain the losses. Tested for ammonia, nitrates, nitries, PH, carbonate, Phosphates and monitoring Temp and GH constantly with all parameters falling within acceptable to negligable ranges. It has absoluletly gutted me and I was close to throwing it in. I have 2 chocolate clowns, 1 clown, 4 Zebra gobies, Flame angel, Reindeer (Rock thrower), 2 Cardinals, 2 Chromis, 2 Coral Banded Shrimp, 5 peices of coral (Hammer, frogspawn etc) and so far about 5 kg of live rock

I am looking around for more people who have been doing this a lot longer than I have been to share our hobby and our enthusiasm for all things wet ;) like fish, shrimp and corals and stuff.

I'm on the southern end of the Gold Coast.

Can't wait to make friends in this hobby

4Ft Reef Tank

Emporer Angelfish and Mandrin both need a matured tank and are better left till you have a bit more experence.

Also how do you introduce/ acclimatise your fish to the aquarium?

Where the fish all added at the same time?

Can you post test results, and what filtration do you run? Do you run a chiller?

Emporer Angelfish and Mandrin both need a matured tank and are better left till you have a bit more experence.

Also how do you introduce/ acclimatise your fish to the aquarium?

Where the fish all added at the same time?

Can you post test results, and what filtration do you run? Do you run a chiller?

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0.25

Phosphate 0

PH 8.21

SG 1.023

Running 2 canister filters for the moment (1250Lt and 800Lt ) 800Lt includes 3w UV (Upgrading to 18w external UV)

chiller

phosban reactor

skimmer

Maxspect LED Lighting

Wave maker

The way to introduce new fish was recommended by the local aquarium guy - open bag dilute the bagged water with equal amount of my tank water, leave floating for 5-10 mins then introduce them into the tank.

Watch your nitrite doesn't keep rising.

I'd suggest drip acclimatise over 30 - 40 min period. i.e place fish with lfs water in a bucket and drip aquarium water in. Gives the fish plenty of time to slowly get use to your water.

Thanks for the drip tip.

Nitrites occasionally creep upto 0.25, but usually are closer to zero.

I also have my own RO/DI filter system and I am using a seneye in my Reef and 3ft Tropical. The Seneye's are not fool proof, but they are good indicators if something is about to go wrong, and gives you time to check everything and deal with an issue before it becomes a problem.

I suspect some of the deaths may be murder. Also watch that Reindeer doesnt become a problem child!

I think I was talking to you at AOA the other day, awesome to see you on the forum amigo

:D

I haven't ventured that far north yet, still playing around with the Gold Coast and Tweed shops.

That was one of my initial thoughts, but when the dominant fish popped off I started to think the Emporer introduced something into the community.

That wrasse is going to cause you headaches... I hated mine!! lol

I did read that about them, but at the moment none of the wrasse are giving me problems. One Banana hides under the shell, the other banana is in love with a clown, the reindeer just plods along chucking stones and burying himself as if there are no ther fish in the tank, and all the other fish in the tank act as if he doesn't exist.

I have had the Banana's for about 5 months and the Reindeer for 7 weeks, and all but 1 of the deaths have been recent additions to the community.