gingerbeer

Rare and Quality Fish Project: Gymnogeophagus balzanii

Welcome guys. We had 8 members indicate that they desired to work with this fish so here is your section to discuss your work. The success of this project is in their hands.

The biggest challenge is going to be to find this fish, as they have became very rare. Last I saw were at Pet City about 4 years ago......

If the members could all introduce themselves and there involvement with the fish as a starting point. Any other members are free to join, and ofcourse members are free to leave at any time.

Steve

I voted for Balzanii simply because I think they are an amazing fish and I'd love to see them around a lot more!

I'll start having a look around for some, not that I haven't been doing that since forever.. :D

Anyone got any tip-offs?

My name is down for this project and I have not seen any for some time. I have been talking in the last week to the last member on another forum to have a pair, and this pair was lost in Melbourne mid 2011.

I reckon wicky has a chance in Perth of finding as WA is a very different place from this side of the world.....

I got onto a few of the larger wholesale suppliers, only got 2 replies but both were that they hadn't seen any for a while.

Also got an add on Petlink, there is a fair few people on there with this sorta stuff.

Ok I have just had a word with my Sydney connection, he hasn't seen Balzani in over 4 years. He told me if you want to keep them, then you need to have a chiller on the tank as they hate heat and will die.

Hi has anyone had any luck with these fish? I must have the same Sydney connection as Grubby I got the same answer of one person, No luck in Victoria either.

I've been in contact with Andrew from Labyrinth Aquarium Some good news on some of the others, Betta Macrostoma and Metraclima sp. zebra gold Charo are available.

I've heard back from one person in Perth. There is at least one person keeping them, but have not had any luck breeding them and has absolutely not interest in selling them. There may be others, but these are old boys who don't get on line, so it may take a little while. All I can do is wait.

This is very sad... what makes it worse is that it sounds like I was the last one to see a breeding pair alive :(

I had a young pair 2 years ago in Victoria, paid $160 each at 4cm and I left them with an experienced friend when I went overseas for 3 months.... Came back and she had added 2 metal hailides to the 4ft tank and therefore the water temp sat up around 30 degrees..... Lost near 20 breeding corydoras barbatus and the pair of Balzanii's

I have kept contacting the place I got them from but no luck in getting more.

I really hope you guys get them back into the hobby as they are a cool little fish

You didnt find them in a petshop with eggs in the tank did you?

It was a few years ago now and i think it was on discus forums.

Someone said they found the balzanii in a pet shop gaurding eggs

I recall seeing a pair a few years ago when I was given a tour of a fish room West of Brisbane....when I went to pick up a pair of Apisto's

I'd say it was on the old version of this forum

This chap was breeding lots of American cichlids...(old school!)

He's still about.....in cichlid club

Does he still have them???

It was several years ago

I recall seeing a pair a few years ago when I was given a tour of a fish room West of Brisbane....when I went to pick up a pair of Apisto's

I'd say it was on the old version of this forum

This chap was breeding lots of American cichlids...(old school!)

He's still about.....in cichlid club

Does he still have them???

It was several years ago

do you remember his name or contact details or anything that could narrow it down?

I don't hold a lot of Hope

I know his name...but I'm not saying it here...Sorry

Will see if I can get to the next Cichlid club meeting...

If he's breed them he wouldn't be hiding them....;)

Saw this add the other day and thought of this thread.......Middle of the page,

Hi Fin Aquarium

its in Melbourne ( and so am i) im heading down there Sunday to have a look, ill repost if they have some and prices!!

I jumped on the blower, the website is under construction, but they did have 4 in a month ago.

He is chasing more next month and does not ship generally. Not certain he will get them yet.

Nice find.....

Well ill head down and leave my name and number, if he can get them im happy to ship them ( after i take out a couple for myself :) )

Well ill head down and leave my name and number, if he can get them im happy to ship them ( after i take out a couple for myself :) )

If you grab some eventually, PM me Cavs, I'll take a pair for sure!