gingerbeer

Rare and Quality Fish Project: Cynotilapia sp 'hara'

Welcome guys. We had 6 members indicate that they desired to work with this fish so here is your section to discuss your work. The success of this project is in their hands.

This fish is commonly known as Cynotilapia Hara "Gallifry Reef", however I am told the above name is correct and beleive we should try and use the correct name. (Thanks matt). I suspect the challange will be seeking fish (I think there is a few colonies in NSW?) and ensuring we have fish from different sources, and sharing the details of how to breed successfully, how to raise successfully and the required culling to ensure that Quality fish are produced.

If the 6 members could all introduce themselves and there involvement with the fish as a starting point. Any other members are free to join, and ofcourse members are free to leave at any time.

Steve

Edited by gingerbeer

Hey guys...I have a colony(11 in total now) I have built from an original 3 fish(2 boys,1 girl....1 boy killed by aggression but this left the breeding pair and he took one for the team/the greater good :))...female is currently on another mouthful and the other guys are 1st generation and still a little young for breeding purposes but wont be too long...just something else but I have noticed WA has the most hara "colonies" pop up from time to time for sale...and some in NSW...I've only recently heard the "gallifry reef" name...and always known them as Cynotilapia sp. 'hara'

Hey guys...I have a colony(11 in total now) I have built from an original 3 fish(2 boys,1 girl....1 boy killed by aggression but this left the breeding pair and he took one for the team/the greater good :))...female is currently on another mouthful and the other guys are 1st generation and still a little young for breeding purposes but wont be too long...just something else but I have noticed WA has the most hara "colonies" pop up from time to time for sale...and some in NSW...I've only recently heard the "gallifry reef" name...and always known them as Cynotilapia sp. 'hara'

Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' are only found at Gallireya Reef, hence why they are sometimes referred to as that, but seeing as that is the only race it is getting rather specific where its not really required. Still nice to know the collection point though.

Can I have a quick show of hands from people looking to acquire some of these? There's some up for grabs in WA - I don't think it will be feasible unless there is quite a bit of interest, but it's worth looking into.

I have a small group of about 7 after I removed a few individuals who didn't appear to be of the same caliber. They are breeding readily in a 3x18x18 tank with dense rock work.

I have about a dozen that are getting up to size and plan to use a few girls from that lot to beef up my group, however this would still leave boys and a couple of girls. A larger group of about 30 came from her next mouthful so those are growing out slowly too.

Haven't found them to be anymore aggressive than your average mbuna.

Can I have a quick show of hands from people looking to acquire some of these? There's some up for grabs in WA - I don't think it will be feasible unless there is quite a bit of interest, but it's worth looking into.

hey [MENTION=237]matt_a[/MENTION] did you end up getting any, i was away when you posted this up, so sadly i couldn't get any with you,

No I didn't get any show of interest from other members, and the seller in Perth only had 20 or so available, so the cost would have been prohibitive.

The original group that I got a hold of is quite small and I'm holding onto it for the forseeable future. The first batch of fry from the group is coming along nicely though. The larger of the fry, presumably the boys are about 3cm. So they hopefully won't be too far off.

I got a pretty good video of my dominant male spawning with his fave lady friend earlier in the week. It's quite interesting how the females can take on the colours of a dominant male.

The original group that I got a hold of is quite small and I'm holding onto it for the forseeable future. The first batch of fry from the group is coming along nicely though. The larger of the fry, presumably the boys are about 3cm. So they hopefully won't be too far off.

I got a pretty good video of my dominant male spawning with his fave lady friend earlier in the week. It's quite interesting how the females can take on the colours of a dominant male.

Does that mean you will have some fry you could potentially part with soon?

If anybody is still keen on these I finally have some ready after deciding to keep first few batches for the Mrs tank. About 30 ranging from 3-6cm as well as some larger males who have been breeding size for 4 months or so.

Hey I know this is a bit old but was wondering what the going prices were for these fish? Would love to start a breeding colony one day so just trying to gain some insight and how much money I would need to fork out to buy a group of juveniles. Cheers!