gingerbeer

Rare and Quality Fish Project: Process Discussion

All the threads are raised for the fish that members have elected to work with as our named projects.

Altolamprologus compressiceps "Muzi" Boulenger, 1898

Betta macrostoma Regan, 1910

Gymnogeophagus balzanii Perugia, 1981

Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' Not yet described

Neolamprologus kungweensis Poll, 1956

Metriaclima sp. 'zebra gold' "Charo" Not yet described

Cynotilapia zebroides "Chewere" Johnson, 1975

Cynotilapia zebroides "Cobue" Johnson, 1975

Metriaclima pulpican Tawil, 2002

The first challenge is sourcing fish, and preferably fish from different lines, and then ensuring that our practices are producing quality, maybe by trading spare males, maybe swapping fry.

I thought I would raise this as some members have had some interesting things to say to me about hwo to approach this project. This is a member driven project so I thought we could allow this section for a general discussion of ways to progress and ideas.

Steve

Me, Shon and a few others i know are currently searching for N. kungweensis, a good idea when wanting to find fish is to be members on multiple Australian forums i think.

betta macrostoma

Have sourced and purchased another mature female from down south with a completely different bloodline from Thialand during the last week.

Also had some really bad luck and lost both my mature male and female from German imports this week as well so back to square one.....

Busy searching for mature males ...... ANYONE see any mature males for sale please let me know.

other mature pair from German doing well but not doing anything atm.

Young ones from Australian breed lines have a young pair left (male and female)

So all up have 1 mature pair (German imports) (male and female), 1 young pair (Aust bred lines) (Male and female) and a mature female (Thailand import)

Contacted other members who showed initial interest in rare breeding project and no return PM's ......... doesn't seem to be much interest ....

hey ya cooder you had chance of buying the kungs the other month, there is some more growing up at moment so will be up for sale again about feb if that helps crossing one off your list

conan

I am thinking of revamping this.

Some of the fish have came along nicely, particularly the Balzanii that some members have made a big effort to source, and even offered to share shipping to allow others to be involved. Others have not been as successful. Some of the fish have had little attention.

Interested in thoughts as to how we can do it better?