Ok ive stepped to the evil side and need softer water as most know the tap water runs at a ph of 7.5 or so i need a nice way to lower ph and maintain softer water

Id prefer not introducing chemicals or anything un natural, years ago I know peat was used but Im hoping something better has been found

tks peter

i need to get ph down to 6 or so and nice softer water

ive heard that about osmosis but not too keen on stuffing around too much id prefer a more natural method, if all else fails ill age a drum and lower the pH manually and use this to top water.

Getting a watertank soon, might be a good chance for some acidic water ill have to test it

tks peter

hey mate that would be about right i have most of my africans on tap water so whats comes out of the tap and throught the calcium sits and stays nice and high... and for my catties i use tank water from my rain water tank and the ph if very low and soft and add no chemicals to the water. all i do is put that water over some shell grit and its nice pure water and have had no troubles with any dieses through thats water..... any way that just how i do it....

cheers mark

I don't believe driftwood can soften water....it may add tannins and make water more acidic....but it won't reduce total dissolved solids....

The best and most natural way to soften water is the same as it is done in nature.....add rainwater.

50/50 tap water to rainwater is a good start.....filtering through peat or adding driftwood will help make the water more acid.

Terminalia catappa.....Indian Almond leaves (or it's extracts) are a natural way of adding tannins and other chemicals beneficial to most soft water fish....bettas in particular.

What species are you wanting to maintain?

Ok old tread but I didn't want to start a new one.

What can you do to soft water. I don't have access to tank water.

I have heard of using peat moss but were to you get it and how do you know it's safe to use, no other added stuff etc.

Carl wants to breed his BN in soft acidic water and I would like to have a go at some small cichlids like rams as stuff.

Thanks

If you want peet mose U can try placers where they sell plants

They shoud have it

All you have to do is put it on the bottam of the tank cover it with unbleched paper and then cover it with your gravel

Its all so great for planted tanks used that way

Roo