Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dgovus

Advice on sump design please

Recommended Posts

So the sump is for an 8x3x3 that was setup for marine, wasn't done real well so I've gutted it all and cleaned it up to go again. Sump is a 5x2x2.

Just making sure I've done it alright and maybe there is something I've missed. Cheers heaps for any input.

Dean

IMG_2145.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just noticed that I adjusted the baffling into the K1 chamber to enter from the bottom to contain it easier but in doing so it looks like that the bulk of the water could bypass the media? With a ****load of air agitating the media and a little powerhead is this likely to be as effective as having the water exit from the top of the chamber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bioballs at the base of the biotower....... when they are submerged are no so efficient. I would consider redoing that bottom part and making it perhaps the K1 chamber. This will also let you put the macropore/carbon AFTER the K1. That way it can act as a final water polisher. I'd need to think on water flow leaving the K1 and how I would do the baffles........ but a quick mock up of how I would play it. Mechanical first to remove debris....... then trickletower bioballs.......... epic K1 chamber with air stones under it......... touch of chemical filtration........ and then nice big area for pumps/heaters etc.

sump2_zps30783a34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I ended up with, similiar to what Donny suggested but with a section under the bioball tower for submerged media. Chamber for water polishers are after the K1 section. Anyone know what kind of flow rate I would be looking at for the air-pump to move the K1? Cheers for the help!

Dean

post-5204-14711628532499_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an epic sump!

Very pro indeed.

You obviously have a plan for preventing K1 escaping the middle chamber and flowing into the ones of either side, gutter guard strip?

As far as airpumps go, I would probably suggest the tetratec 400 as being capable of getting that K1 moving well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Mate! I was sorta hoping that the K1 would be so kind as to stay in his chamber? Water level will be 100mm below the baffle on the exit side and surely it won't go against the current on the in side?? So it doesn't take a lot to get it moving with air? I've used it before but with powerheads, hoping to do something a bit more energy-concious. How about a 9L/min 4 output job with 2 air curtains twisted around the bottom? Sorry for so many questions! Hope to set it up properly the first time and save mucking around.

Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hope to set it up properly the first time and save mucking around

Thats always the dream!

But I suspect you will need to tweak the K1 a bit once its set up, and the K1 is cycled.

Its usually well behaved, but until you see how the air tumbles it, its hard to predict.

It shouldnt go against the current....... but sometimes bits go rogue!

Easy to exend baffles with gutter guard lashed to eggcrate with zipties if needed...... altho thats an ugly solution to put on a good lookin sump!

The tetratec is just under 7litres a minute and thats about as low as I'd go. 9 Litres a minute sounds good......... although really you could put an absolute monster on there if ya wanted serious overkill eg an LP40 (50L). But I'd certainly try the 9 litres a minute one first. Perhaps give it a bit of a google too as I have always syphoned air from large airpumps for k1...... only guessing at what circulation a stand alone airpump would give your k1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going to put 40 litres of K1 in there you may want a bit more air than 9 ltrs per min. The usual recommended rate for square containers like a sump is 1-to-1 air to K1. Personally I found that to be a bit much so you could probably get away with a bit less, but I'm not sure how much movement/aeration you'll get with 9 ltrs of air trying to move 40 ltrs of K1. I probably would try to get something a little stronger up front - you can always bleed off a bit of air if it's too much, but if you find you don't have enough air to start with you'll have to get a whole new or additional pump. Had a quick look at AoA and they've got a Resun model up around 20 ltrs per minute which is probably a better bet.

I haven't calculated the area you've allocated for the K1, but you should be aiming for about 40% water to 60% K1 also.

As for keeping the K1 in the chamber....well it can be a bit tricky. Fresh, uncycled K1 has an annoying habit of climbing up walls. You'll get bits stuck to the wall, which get bumped up by ones below, which then move up the wall themselves and so on and so on - as that continues you'll get quite a few bits climbing up. Once it's cycled it doesn't really do that though. Best bet would be chuck in 20 ltrs of K1 and gradually add by handfuls as it settles down. If you give the K1 a good rinse in warm water it tends to settle faster I've found.

Just keep tweaking the amount of K1 and air and you'll reach a happy equilibrium.

Edited by MakuCentauri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...