damo83

Will i still need to cycle my tank?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be setting my tank back up in 2 weeks and i have a question about cycling. If i run one of my filters in my brothers well established tank for 2 weeks will i still need to cycle the tank or will this just reduce the time needed to cycle? The tank is 4x2x2 and i'll be running 2 fluval 404's.

I will be putting a 25cm oscar in there so it will be a fairly heavy load straight up...

Thanks in advance

Damo

Running your filter on the old tank will help though t wont completely cycle your new tank

As the bacteria is defendant on the food source

If you add your filter to your Brothers tank then the bacteria will spread out between all the filters

With this in mind it is still beneficial to do this

As long as you know your brothers tank is disease and parasite free

The load from your oscar wont be to bad for that size tank

Brad

Thanks for the advice Brad... anything to reduce the cycling time sounds good to me! Nothing worse than having to stare at an empty tank for 2-3 weeks!

Does anyone know where to buy pure ammonia for fishless cycling?

Cheers

Damo

I have heard of people getting them but totally sure where from

Im not for people trying it as I have found its not that much faster and less stable after its finished

I prefer to do it slowly or if you want to rush it make sure your avail. to do lots of little water changes and use Seachem Stability

I stocked my discus display the day after I set it up and only used Stability

Had no problems at all

Brad

I've never tried it before just been reading about up about it and thought i'd give it a try... the oscar i'm getting is a mates and is currently in a 80L 2ft tank so the quicker the cycle the better

I have some Stability left over from last time i set my tank up so i'll use that a 1 filter run for 2 weeks in my brothers tank... hopefully that will reduce the cycle time

Cheers

Damo

I've never tried it before just been reading about up about it and thought i'd give it a try... the oscar i'm getting is a mates and is currently in a 80L 2ft tank so the quicker the cycle the better

I have some Stability left over from last time i set my tank up so i'll use that a 1 filter run for 2 weeks in my brothers tank... hopefully that will reduce the cycle time

Cheers

Damo

if he has a 25cm oscar in a 2' tank the thing is probably swimming in ammonia from all the crap it produces , i hope he is doing daily water changes for the poor thing :(

the sooner you get it out of that tank and into yours the better

Yeah i know its sad to see but there are reasons why...

He'll be getting water changes and feeding every couple of days until i get my tank up and running so hopefully the water will stay good for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help everyone

Damo