Hey everyone!

I've decided that I'm going to attempt a paludarium in a 4 foot tank I have.

Its going to be designed for south american cichlids and a small turtle.

Im not overly sure on stocking yet but I've been toying with:

-Blue acara (but they get fairly large)

or possibly

-Some ram's

I won't lie it's the first time I would have kept Americans so I'm not really sure what goes well with what?

Any idea's? Keeping in mind not to small the turtle will annoy them too much.

Any way back to the paludarium itself. Now I've thought about the design alot but as its my first attempt I was hoping for some pointers of feedback.

post-9417-14711628510599_thumb.jpg

1. I have the idea of using a submersed filter and the return to be attached to pvc piping to supply the water fall/"rainmaker". Does any have any ideas on this? Will there be enough pressure etc etc?

2. The false bottom? What would be the best thing to make this out of?

3. The barrier between water and land, any ideas? I'm just thinking a piece of PVC or something hidden in the substrate?

Look in all honesty guys I would love any feedback! Stocking suggestions both for plants and fish? And any ideas to do with the set up!

Thanks heaps,

Nathan

If your turtle doesnt eat your fish wich sometimes they wont as i have kept quite a large turtle with african he will scratch the bejesus out of the mine use to use them as stepping stones to the top of the water lol

Thanks for the replies guys!

I realize there can be complications with the turtle and fish but I'm thinking of making a PVC barrier drilled with holes for the water flow to put maybe half a foot from the land at night to seperate them whilst the fish sleep.

As for the stepping stone thing....what a cheeky bugger! Maybe if I put plenty of rocks and logs in the water he will pick them over the fish as his choice of step haha.

Thanks again!