Ok thort i had i fish with worms as there was white lil worms in its tank so i went to get some worming tablets was talking to my fish guru he was saying that particular worm comes threw in your tap water not so harmfull for the fish but better to knock them on the head

Never expected them to come threw my tap water

Gravel worms are not parasitic or harmful. Worm eggs are very robust in general, and can survive signifigant adventures.

Gravel worms are usually a sign you are either feeding too much, or gravel syphoning too little.

Because they are not an immediate threat, I would focus more on using the correct type and amount of food.

And increasing gravel vacs during water changes........ its like flossing but for tanks.

1269861052039_zps4a3ef6ea.jpg

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Gravel worms are not parasitic or harmful. Worm eggs are very robust in general, and can survive signifigant adventures.

Gravel worms are usually a sign you are either feeding too much, or gravel syphoning too little.

Because they are not an immediate threat, I would focus more on using the correct type and amount of food.

And increasing gravel vacs during water changes........ its like flossing but for tanks.

1269861052039_zps4a3ef6ea.jpg

I dont have gravel in my tanks and fish eat there food immediately but you reckon they arent harmfull donny what if say the fish ate them andbthey reproduced in the fish stomach

I dont have gravel in my tanks and fish eat there food immediately but you reckon they arent harmfull donny what if say the fish ate them andbthey reproduced in the fish stomach

What if you ate an earthworm and it reproduced in your stomach?

lol

Gravel worms are incapable of surviving inside a fish, just as earthworms are incapable of surviving inside a human.

Now you say you dont have gravel, so the worms were on the glass?

They are looking for rotting organic matter.

Most parasitic worms release eggs from inside the fish. It rare to see a parasitic worm species outside of a host in anything but egg form. Sometimes you get swimmers but they are typically very small.

Do you have anyfish in there that will consume them?

I mean if you want to kill them sterazin does a great job.

but stuff like cories, loaches and synodontis are all effective.

as are gourami and rainbows

catwoman_by_lalesco7-d57hw79-600x932_zps9e396454.jpg

Thats a relief i got these tablets cant remember the name but my guru reckons they work well and once dead probly get sucked up the filter or next water change its a relief they arent paracidic thanks for all your help and info guys its apreciated

I work for the water unit at the tweed shire council and I have never seen nor heard of worms in the water, to many chemical for anything to live in.

I work for the water unit at the tweed shire council and I have never seen nor heard of worms in the water, to many chemical for anything to live in.

The adults would die, but some of the eggs have some srs walls on them.

There was one case I can think of tho......

While ago now, but do you remember this guy?

picture-1.png

They are more likely just a form of harmless nematode or planaria. Both can get introduced to a tank via many means. Timber, gravel, sand or from anything that has had contact with the water (especially organic matter). Just like with hydra, the appearance of these guys is usually as sign of over feeding, inadequate gravel vacuming or need of larger water changes. All lead to a build up of nutrients in the tank which allows the critters to explode in numbers. I wouldn't add meds at all and just do as Donny said. Increase your maintenance and reduce your feedings and they will go as quick as they came.