Sign in to follow this  
The Tech Den

Tanks of Death for BN Fry. What am I doing wrong??

I have been having some problems raising BN fry.

The Adults are breeding well but finding the fry survival rate very very low.

I have 4 X 4 foot tanks with Peppermint, Common, OS and Long Fins and no other fish in the tank other than BN.

Each tank has a Sandy Substrate, driftwood and some plants.

Canister filter 1400lph or better with sponge filters.

Internal filter 2500lph sponge

Ph 6.4-7.4

Temp 24-27

Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are at good levels.

I have started doing water changes of 15-20% weekly.

Feel that I may need to vac the tanks once a week? (seems to be a bit of drift wood broken down)

I leave the Fry to grow in the same tanks as the Adults.

I was feeding them daily on Zucchini or pellets.

If you can point out where I am going wrong or put down your setup that is working for you would be appreciated.

Should I have a substrate or would it be better a bare tank with driftwood for breeding?

I had the 2 filters so there would be good current?

Cheers

m8 i have a heap of albino bn ( 2 m 5fm and approx 2-300 fry from 3/4cm to 4 cm )in a 4ft tank and they breed like rabbits and nearly all survive , the only thing different that i have from u is mine have no gravel in the tank its all driftwood and caves, i dont seem to lose many if any fry i however do a fortnightly water change of around 80-100 ltrs in a 300 ltr tank and sump system i feed mine zucchini pumpkin and algee wafers as for water parameters i have no idea as i dont test it my ph should be up a bit as i have calcium carbonate and coral in my sump but i figure the wood will help lower it as well

the only suggestion i would make is less water changes or rather less water amounts do 10% instead of 20-30% as it may shock them the changes in water temp and chemical properties and consider taking out the internal filter and also covering the canister outlet with a piece of course sponge and it may suck the lil fellas into it and the impeller mush them

What pellets are you feeding? Zucchini is good, but I would'nt make it a staple. More of supplement. Also, leaving it in there for long periods may affect water quality. These are all long gutted fish, and while they can and do deal with protein and fats well enough, they generally arent designed for it exclusively. Especially when young. If you dont already, get yourself some quality algae wafers. I think the spirulina is important. Wafers are generally lower in protien and much lower in fats which suits the longer intestinal tract. Also, because of the long gut, the younguns will need to establish gut bacteria. So they wont deal well with high percentage of fat, protein and cellulose right off the bat. Parents poo is the best source of this gut bacteria. Once the gut is established, they should be fine with most anything. Like a human child, you cant feed them steak and chops right away. They cant deal with it.

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? It might be good to know these things if you are having issues. It may help track them.

The Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are on the lowest levels of the test kit. I was feeding them the Zucchini probably more regular than what was needed. Was feeding the Zucchini every second day and have dropped that back to once every 4-5 days.

I do everything I am NOT meant to and get very few deaths.

I remove the wrigglers while they are still in the log with dad just before he is about to release and place them in there own tank, I leave a few in the main tank and place the remaining 80 or so in a small 25 litre tank powered by a sponge with a couple of peices of wood, and feed them viformo daily and zuchini twice a week after the first couple of weeks, I am also now feeding them the prestige vegie wafer and they hammer that.

I do a once weekly water change of around 50 % + and vacum all waste and replace with straight tap water, once they get to around 2 - 2.5 cm I change them into a 2ft grow out tank. With the small tank i find they don't have to go far for food and grow quicker than the ones left in with the breeders. All my tanks are bare bottom, just makes it easier for cleaning. I have done this with Pepps, albinos and now albino longfins and get a survival rate of better than 95%. Tanks are not heated and at the moment around 21 degrees.

This work for me.

For me if you are running a 1400 cannister and a 2500 internal in a 4 ft tank that is a fair bit of water movement, also the fry will need to fight with the adults and water current for food and move around alot to get feed.

HTH

Sign in to follow this