Bclews

Fresh from the coast!

Hey guys im a newbie to keeping fish but I do have a strong interest in it I'm about to purchase a tank and will run it with plants and cichlids. I am struggling with the choice to get a 4 or a 3 foot tank. I am from the sunny coast!

Edited by Bclews

The bigger the better,wont be long before u want

a bigger one.I went from small to 2ft to 4ft to 6ft.

Have decided not to get anymore due to power bill.

Once u catch the fish bug its hard to give up like smoking.

What type of cichlid u thinking african or american.

Welcome to the forum, Plenty of sunny coasters on here

African are GREAT,

When buying a tank the bigger is better. Most people don't understand this but the bigger the tank the easier they are to maintain.

I started off with a 3ft tank as well. Very happy with it, but I am already planning on moving up and getting a larger tank. I feel with this hobby bigger is better and as the others have said, it IS easier to maintain larger tanks "The solution to pollution is dilution".

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay :).

Cichlids and plants offer some unique challenges....... dwarfs not so bad, but a lot of the Africans can be destructive when interested or bored lol.

Funnily read another post earlier on this.

Kudos to the Capitán

It can be done, and done very well.

2 examples with links. And a 3rd from another forum.

Travis_19.jpg

Yellow Fin Pseudotropheus demasoni - Aqua Botanic's Aqua Bloggin

240Tanganyikan_060113.jpg

Aquaworld Aquarium - Lake Tanganyika Tank at Aquaworld Aquarium

and

75G061906.jpg

I have a 3ft long and 2ft tall show aquarium with 35 fish mostly Africans and I want a 8ft tank

Africans get big but you can defiantly fit more Africans then americans as the big Americans are highly agressive

I'm new too but have spent 2yrs researching plants, substrates and fish compatibility

It's not easy and most give up.. So if your serious get onto google and don't stop.

So start with the nitrogen cycle, then move onto how fish survive and maintaining good water quality.

You may like to add me as I am in the process of building a fully planted African cichlid show aquarium

And it's really hard to pull off so I'd be more then happy to help you, not many people will agree its possible but I am determined.

So get back to me and add me if your serious and we'll get this done. I have many rare and expensive fish which I will share with you.. But being lazy is a bad idea for high maintenance aquariums.. So be careful some fish die all too easy.

clewsy if ur gonna have africans in a 3 foot tank make sure u have heavy substrate not sand as im pretty sure ur tank will be a display tank. the africans are fairly territorial when it comes to breeding and they WILL change ur tank around. ive had all the sand pushed out to the corners or my tank when a certain type is breeding or i wake up to massive sand hill. and go with 4 foot if u got the chance