Hey guys i've always used bulkheads myself but with a new build on the way always looking at changing the way i do things :P Wondering anyone out there has changed out their bulkheads for uniseals, pros cons? personal experiences? issues?

Cheers

That would depend on the size of the setup, i'll be looking at 150 bulkheads for this new setup so it all adds up :P I've heard good things about the uniseals, but not so much info on longevity in comparison to bulkheads.

But saying that i'm still leaning towards bulkheads would love to hear from some people that have at least tried out the uni though for a decent period of time :(

I've got ten year old uniseals for pump suction pipes on my sump that are still perfect. I've used uniseals for centre drains on tubs, and they're perfect.

If you want to get water out of a glass tank at the water level, I think it's cheapest to;

Drill 32mm holes at the height required. Internal plumbing is 1" S/S strainer into 1" poly socket. External is 1" F/F poly elbow and 1"director. Join the internal and external with 1" threaded poly riser cut to length. I run silicone around the socket where it contacts the glass.

The variation in price of fittings is outrageous, but if you're serious, you can pm me for prices.

I got them from Aquasonic at Wauchope. You can get robbed by some good stores. I was quoted $36 from a large plumbing chain, and bought for $6 from Aquasonic for 2''.

You can buy similar called multiseals, but I thought the price was silly.

I've got one or two spare, or if you need I can order for you.

Thanks fellas especially Ghost for the personal experience with the uniseals. I have come across Earthan Group Pty Ltd | Harvesting for our future (have met the owner at some point, think my kids birthday party lol ) for uniseals, has online site and does bulk deals :) believe he's based Collingwood park.

May still stick with bulkheads yet depending what i can get them for in bulk. Thanks Web for the wetearth link will check them out too.

The only con i've heard about uniseals so far is that under cold temps they can possibly leak a small amount if the pipe is hit.

The biggest pro being the price.

I use bulkheads on my tanks but I am using some uniseals on my filtration system which includes a couple of 60 litre plastic barrels full of K1.

The uniseals are great for curved surfaces like the plastic barrels, but I wouldn't use them in situations where a bulkhead would work.

Bulkheads are more secure as fittings and way easier to install/remove. Pushing any real length of pipe through a tight uniseal is a major pain in the arse and it's just as bad pulling it back out/off.

I'd be too paranoid pushing pvc through a tight uniseal on a glass tank - putting the amount of force you need to shove the pipe through at a weak point in a piece of glass...no thanks...