i have a 2.5ft and a 3ft. in the 2.5ft i have electric yellows and electric blue fry, and 2 balowi's. in the 3 ft i have e.yellows, saulosi, yellow tail acei's clown loaches bristlenoses and pakastani loaches. the loaches seem ok. i'm getting the water tested tomorrow morning. i do weekly water changes of about 25-30% sometimes a little bit more in the 3ft to clean the gravel properly.

Thanx guys

What was the reading of your Nitrate?

With that set up how many fish all up?

What sort of filtration have you got?

Maybe its a case of over stocked and over fed and thats giving you a high Nitrate reading

With the amount of water changes your doing it shouldnt get very high at all

Brad

i think i was told it was 2.5. i'm only a newbie so i don't really know too much. i think i have been over feeding so i have cut that back a bit and i will probably need better filtration. i have an internal filter atm but i'm looking at getting a canister filter soon. i think there's about 15 odd fish in a 3ft

Hey cara,

lol i just flicked open my cichlid book to find the page on blue dolphins, and i found a page on diseases. There is one called ichyophtirius. It is a litlle parasite that sticks itself to the fish, and kind of makes it ich. They look like tiny grains of salt stuck to the fish, and the fish try and scratch it off. If they are scratching around the gills, it may be hard to spot the parasite. If the parasite is there, treat the water with malachite green. Ich lives for 3 days, so leave it in there for 4 to 5 days. If you have carbon in your filter, take it out before treating. A slight rise in water temperature speeds up the proccess. Do a 25%-50% water change after treating, and put some carbon in the filter to get rid of any leftover midication.

Your fish might have it, not sure tho. Just thought this might help :).

Beau