Sign in to follow this  
Badassmc

Tankmates for my Texas

Hi all, I'm moving my Texas cichlid into a 3x18x18 on the weekend. He reached a max of 15-20cm which he has stayed at for over a year. I am wondering what you guys would put in with him if it were your fish. He is 100% male and completely docile. The only tank mates I wouldn't put with him are large growing cichlids because he is a sook and has copped more than one flogging in his lifetime. Thanks guys any suggestions otherwise would be much appreciated :)

From experience with him he isn't a grumpy fish. I kinda had this wacky idea of keeping tetras with him. Larger variants of course but still. Tetras. I thought a female Texan but then I might have to deal with fry and other breeding problems :/ not really my thing. Community tank I guess, that's probably what I want the most. Which fish would co exist with him

I'm assuming you're talking about a Green Texas (Herichthys carpintis), because a Texas (Herichthys cyanoguttatum) is rare as hen's teeth.

Anyways assuming you're talking about a Green Texas, they can be quite shy and tend to like to hide - as in their natural habitat they're commonly found hidden in reeds and the likes, rather than being completely open swimmers (if they can so help it). What other fish are in there with him atm, and what other fish are you interested in? From your own suggestion I have a feeling that you want him to be a centerpiece of sorts, with other fish just kinda showing him off and filling in the space, but want to get more of a feel as to your interest with this guy and the tank before suggesting some specific ideas.

Yeah green Texas sorry for generalist description. Centrepiece is definitely the go. At the moment he is solitary due to me moving, but now I'm settled he is moving to the slightly larger tank. I've had him for 3 years so I'm quite attached. His tank mates so far will be a single clown loach and a common pleco. The pleco is relatively small still so that isn't a problem. The first fish I would buy to go with these three would be 2 more clown loaches. I guess the kind of fish I would like to fill in the gaps would be a small school of mid to top dwelling fish and possibly another small cichlid like a firemouth or blue eyed cichlid

Mhm, well a cichlid can cause problems if it's aggressive, though the tank size should mend that somehow. If you get a female american, there's a chance the SGT would breed with that. Blue Eyed can be a really good idea, as they are quite placid for a cichlid - even if they do pair up they shouldn't cause issues.

I reckon you may be on the right track with getting more Clown Loaches. Other stuff like Rainbow Sharks and Paradise Fish can work, they don't really grow large and last I had them with cichlids they worked out absolutely perfectly fine.

I'm not too sure on Tetras because unless they're large enough, I feel like they'll definitely end up as food. SGT don't tend to go out of their way to chase after fish, but if it's easy food, they'll go for it. If you do get smaller fish and hear noises at night, it's most definitely the SGT eating the smaller fish.

Firemouths and Elliotis being both Thorichthys species can get quite nasty, although they're more bark than bite and may actually coexist with the SGT if they can't bully the guy. Though at first there may be heaps of flaring from a Firemouth or Ellioti.

You can go for some of the more passive africans, such as Electric Yellows. They're relatively peaceful, and can easily thrive in the same water conditions as SGTs, Clown Loaches and Plecos.

EBJDs may be an idea as well, might be worth looking into.

Edited by Azedenkae

Awesome :) smiths has some blue eyed cichlids at the moment, I might have to give it a crack I think! Yeah I need to get the loach some friends. I've had him 8 years so I think he deserves it hahaha. Maybe I'll just have to experiment with other fish, like the shark or paradise fish. This could get interesting I can't wait. Thanks for your advice azedenkae much appreciated. I'll have to post up a thread about it once I get the ball rolling :)

i know super green texan's are not the fastest growing fish, but a male super green tex would be larger than 15-20cm within 8 years.

what size was 'his' previous tank?

personally if you ask me, for a single male sgt, no matter the aggression i would not try adding any other cichlids to a 3 x 18. the tank although larger than the previous tank, still isnt very large and does not leave much room for the territories that most if not all cichlids would call home. With the introduction of another cichlid your SGT may or may not take it as a threat, and choose not to co exist.

so to be quite honest if this were my call, i would leave it as a species tank (leave the texas by itself). Through my experience all cichlids are different, yet somewhat unpredictable. What might work for one person might not work for another. I have had a large 25cm Red Devil housed with 20 male guppies for 6 months, without any problems. My point here is this, what worked for me, most certainly wouldnt work for someone else.

In my time of helping out customers with cichlids i used these three words all too much.

TRIAL AND ERROR

The Tex is 3 mate, the loach is 8 years old haha. Yeah I guess it is all about trial and error. I'll look into it some more. He has been in several of my tanks over the years. Including the one I amoving him into this weekend. Very docile fish unless something really agitates him which is why I'm thinking of trying more peaceful fish. Anyway I'll just have to dive in the deep end and hope for the best

The Tex is 3 mate, the loach is 8 years old haha. Yeah I guess it is all about trial and error. I'll look into it some more. He has been in several of my tanks over the years. Including the one I amoving him into this weekend. Very docile fish unless something really agitates him which is why I'm thinking of trying more peaceful fish. Anyway I'll just have to dive in the deep end and hope for the best

thats the spirit mate

Sign in to follow this