Badassmc

Tank upgrade for my jack

Ok guys so my jack is currently in a 5x2x2, and upgrading is not an urgent matter, but I'm interested to know what you think is better for monster fish. Length? Width? Height? I'm asking because I'm going to start planning which size tank I should buy when he outgrows his current tank. I've got 2 in mind. Either a 6x3x2 or a 7x2.5x2. I personally am more worried about width than anything. But I want know opinions because I want to provide him the best possible living quarters. No monster suggestions like 10ft tanks because that is not possible for me. Thanks

There are people in regents park who upgraded there 8x2x2 for there jack. Its a 9x4x2.5 Lwh.

I think the jack will be pushing 65-70cm by now.

How big is your jack now and are your living arrangements permanent? Might play a factor in it

Ohk well theres deffinately alot of time for planning. Big fish need length amd width, height if the fish are tall, like pacu etc.

Personally 8x3x2 would get a few years out of him.

I have a 7x2.5wx2 with large natives biggest being 50+cm. And theres alot of room for them still.

Good filtration too. I run a 7x18x18 sump. But 1 fish wont need to be as crazy.

A 6x3x2 IMO would work til its about 50-55cm. Thats where an extra 2feet length really helps.

Yeah I totally get it with the 8x3x2. I would love to get one that big for him one day. Your tank sounds nice what have you got stocked? Also I've got an fx5 which is incredible so filtration won't be too much of a drama. How much would be a good price on either the 6x3x2 or the 7x2.5x2? Both with plain pine stands? Doesn't have to be accurate just an estimate is fine

That sounds awesome! He'd be stoked in a tank that big. I really wish I could but my only option is a stepping stone tank. Hopefully by the time he outgrows his next tank I will have room for a huuuge one

Most Aussie natives do quite well in relatively shallow (height) tanks provided there is ample width i.e. swimming footprint. I would recommend the largest tank you can get, with more emphasis on front to back distance rather than top to bottom. This feature will also potentially save you money in terms of glass thickness.

Cheers,

Nige

Yeah you're right I will probably need more filtration and that shouldn't be a problem. He won't need the upgrade for a while yet so Ive got plenty of time to plan it. Does anyone know a good aquarium maker that could do a 6x3x2 for me?

Dennison. He works at marry Anne's. best around that I know of.

x 2. A few months ago Dennison quoted me a very good price for a 6x3x2. He seems like a very easy going fellow and will work with you on specific tank requirements. Call or email him and I'm sure he will get back to you with some great information.