Mitch.0

Help setting up Eheim 2217 Canister Filter Please

Hi,

I have just purchased a Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter from AOA and found the instructions included with the filter to be very poor.

I have watched several clips on Youtube and have a basic understanding but confused with the water aspect.

Do you fill the canister up with water or not? The instructions say not too but everyone on Youtube does so not sure which way to go.

My thoughts were to put in media, leave canister empty and try to prime it by sucking in the smaller hose that connects to the spray bar.

Is this correct?

Thanks, that made sense to me to start with then I changed my mind.

I will fill it with water and go from there.

For such a well know and highly recommended product the instructions leave a lot to be desired :(

Set it up empty , make sure the intake hose is in the tank and suck on the return.

Once it starts filling up you can put the return back in the tank. Turn it on when's full of water. You will get a bit of noiseand bubbles for a little while until the air is purged out.

Set it up empty , make sure the intake hose is in the tank and suck on the return.

Once it starts filling up you can put the return back in the tank. Turn it on when's full of water. You will get a bit of noiseand bubbles for a little while until the air is purged out.

Crams description is the way to go (I've had about three of those 2217's over the years and currently two of the big 2260 canisters, and this procedure works for all of them). Best of luck :)

Cheers,

Nige

Never had a problem with the instructions. In fact i find most people have issues when they DON'T follow them.

Cram is exactly right. Put media in, if needed suck on INTAKE hose and once water comes simply turn the tap off. Connect it to the other inlet tap at the filter, open tap again and let it fill, easy peasy.

The biggest issue people have is when they try to start the filter when the outlet and spraybar is full of water.

Hi,

I have just purchased a Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter from AOA and found the instructions included with the filter to be very poor.

I have watched several clips on Youtube and have a basic understanding but confused with the water aspect.

Do you fill the canister up with water or not? The instructions say not too but everyone on Youtube does so not sure which way to go.

My thoughts were to put in media, leave canister empty and try to prime it by sucking in the smaller hose that connects to the spray bar.

Is this correct?

You had it right!

Of course its easier to do it the second time after cleaning as you just turn the tap on the output (making sure spray bar is above water), once that hose is empty you turn the tap on the intake hose. Once the filter finishes filling, you plug it in.

You can also cheat, and blast up the intake stem using a powerhead.