Hi guys

Heard freshwater sole are like a poor mans stingray (I read it, I didn't make it up)

Are they easy to keep? Compatible with Americans?

Do they poo like a pleco or okay? Any opinions are welcome as I could write a book on what I don't know about them

They look cool, but as we know, research first

Thanks

They don't get very big and would get munched by Americans...

They are kinda cool though, I'll admit.

Personally I think you need to be a black woman to have soul..... But that's just my opinion.

C'MON!!!

Hahahahaha!

Hey you started it.

Sorry Ventus for hyjacking your thread. Sole are pretty cool,so are flatfish,flathead or any other saltwater fish that can be converted to freshwater. list goes on Monos, scats, bream,mangrove jack, toadfish, bullrouts ever converted a blue spot stingray to fresh water. Many years ago I used to make good money from selling converted fish. Unfortunatley that is all they are converted salywater fish.

I've looked at getting some of these a while ago, but couldn't find any real info on keeping them other than the usual 'must have sand substrate' type stuff.

Anyone know anything more substantial like feeding or water conditions/temperature?

They will eat small fish and shrimp easy, they look harmless but they can be very quick when they are hungry.

I have kept mine on gravel before and sand, I find they don't mind either, as long as the gravel isn't anymore than 3mm.

They will rarely take flake food or pellets, fresh is the only way to go, Blackworms, Frozen worms, Brine Shrimp and so forth. Even chopped up prawns from the baitshop.

Not fussy with the water, they will live in anything as long as the parameters aren't in the extremes.

They have no defense, only their camouflage, so make sure you keep them with non aggressive fish, teeth are a no go for these guys!

Also if it's a salt pan sole it will get to be around 15cm or so :)

Seph

Realise this is an old thread but I just picked up 4 sole from Red Dragon. They do look cool. Have them in a holding tank at present letting them settle down. They seem to be quite active and moving around. Huang said they were being fed on flake and small granules so have given them that same type food. Haven't seen them eating but they have definitely stirred the food up from the bottom. They also seem to like hanging on the sides of the tank and even look like they are grazing like a BN. Maybe my imagination. Anyway does anyone else have them in their tanks, has anyone been lucky enough to have bred them locally. Was thinking of setting up a colony tank and see what happens.

post-16893-14711634747524_thumb.jpg

Picture courtesy of Google but looks exactly like the ones I have. They grow to about 15 - 20 cm but apparently never bred in captivity. There are also Australian fresh water sole in NTH QLD rivers which are not salt water sole transitioning to fresh. The bodies and fins are completely different.

Edited by garywant87
add information

Huang said he had them in tap water and fed them flake food and discuss granules, so I am doing the same. I have them in a holding tank that was running for the last three weeks with only water and filter so was aged somewhat. No heater and water temp is around 24 - 26 C and they seem quite relaxed. Saw three of the 4 eating this afternoon so am happy. Will give them another day and then move them into the larger tank. None of the fish in the big tank are big enough to eat them and there is tons of bottom space and hide holes for them.