Hi,

I'm looking to put 2 x 2217's on the one tank. What is everyone's thoughts on how to set them up? Intake/outlet at each end or intakes at one end, outlets at the other. Also what are the pros and cons of each? Inhabitants are as per signature below.

Thanks

Trav

I have 2 Pro3 (2080 and 2180 – heater) running on an 8ftr with pipe sets on each side of the tank. The corner will have the inlets (it has 2 inlets each) and on top of the side the spraybar – pumping water back to the centre of the tank. This seems to look neat as you won’t notice the pipes when you look at the tank as it’s hidden on the corner sides. Maintenance aspect, it makes cleaning easier as I only clean one at a time and keep it there 4-6months without cleaning. This is also useful in case one filter will fail, there is one more running. I used to have a third one (2080) running on this same tank, but decided it was too much for it and now using it for my another tank after selling my FX5s.

CONs I see is you need to save up a bit as the initial outlay may hurt the pocket. But reliability and efficiency outweighs cost in the long run.

I used to run two canister filter in one tank but the way I set up was abit odd, 2 intake in one end and output (spray bar) in each end but in the end I run one filter only along with big internal filter which placed in the same end on the output of canister filter.

I think is sensible to put 2 intake in one end and 2 out put in the opposite end. Good luck

Thanks for the input. I did forget to mention that the tank is only 55 gal but heavily stocked (was supposed to be a short term thing)

Supercobwe - have you run a tank like that? how did you find the current?

Litigator - I already have the second 2217 sitting in storage so cost isn't an issue.

My initial thoughts was to put an intake at each end an outlet at each end so that the intake from filter 1 is at the same end as outlet from filter 2 and vice versa. I was also planning on pointing both spray bars at the surface for agitation and to create circular flow back to the intake.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Trav

That's how I have it as you mentioned above, spray bar holes are just above the surface pointing down for question and movement. I have a 2217/2215 combo on a 4x1.3x2.3 leg and its perfect. relatively heavily stocked too.

bridge them together... 1 inlet, 1 outlet and join the out from the first to the in on the second. I've seen alot of people do it escpessialy those who have discus or sensitive fish. Not sure if they have all of them powered but I don't think it would make a difference if you did or not as you only need to push the pressure back up to the top of the tank... so probably just the second powered would surfice. Probably take the impellor out of the first as not to restrict the flow.

this way you are saving in costing too.

bridge them together... 1 inlet, 1 outlet and join the out from the first to the in on the second. I've seen alot of people do it escpessialy those who have discus or sensitive fish. Not sure if they have all of them powered but I don't think it would make a difference if you did or not as you only need to push the pressure back up to the top of the tank... so probably just the second powered would surfice. Probably take the impellor out of the first as not to restrict the flow.

Now that's an interesting approach! 👀

I'm not sure if this will give me the turn over required to deal with the heavy stocking. I understand that it is 'double' filtered but the same amount if water will be going thru the filter. Can you explain your thinking further?

Go with bidkevs way. Bridging them will only have the same turnover as one. One at each end is the go. Criss crossing lines is pointless. Not being rude but it seems a no brainer to me. ;)

I put a second fx5 on my tank.

I have the outlets at each end and inlets in the centre.

I drilled the centre brace in the tank and put bulkheads in.

Works a treat.

Sorry to say the fx5 is a Fluval and not an eheim, maybe change your title?

Really thanks for pointing that out I would never of known otherwise.

I was simply replying to how i had my 2 canisters plumbed into one tank.

I think the two posts above may be confused .

and bidkevs is probably the best you will get ,

You are correct liljohn, clicking on the post link that brought me to JayPee's first reply, seemed like it was the main post. Hope I didn't twist your panties to hard there JayPee that you can't retrieve them, it was my mistake and I apologise.

Thanks for all the input. JayPee - flying commando... Good choice!!! I was going to clarify with bidkev whether he meant one intake one outlet at each end from different filters or one filter (intake and outlet from the same filter) at the one end. The only reason I was looking to cross the filters over was the fact that a) one is already setup and B) helping uniform water conditions at each end (temp etc) which I understand won't be that different (if even noticeable) on a tank that size. One of the reasons for looking to put the second filter on is the fact that I'm finding detritus (big word but I had to sound smart somehow) building up at the end with the outlet

Trav

IMHO ... Moving the intakes and returns around in different combinations would have minimal impact on biological filtration but would have a much larger impact on the amount of current or turbulence in the tank. As your tangs all inhabit the lake's close shore I'd go with the combination that minimises the current ... put intakes and returns at opposite ends of the tank pushing towards the centre.

Ehiem have been experimenting with using lower flow rates because they believe a slower flow rate actually cleans the water better. For instance if you have far too much water flow over your media and don't get enough contact time the water will not be cleaned. So passing it over more media for a longer period of time will clean the water better and faster.

When you do the maths either way theoretically the same amount of water will be cleaned it's just how well it was cleaned to begin with that counts. And given that the tank is 200ltr it's still a 5x turn over p/h, so 2x individual 1000l/ph filters theoretically will only give you more current because the 2217 is designed for tanks upto 600ltrs anyway.

I'd still bridge them together

IMHO ... Moving the intakes and returns around in different combinations would have minimal impact on biological filtration but would have a much larger impact on the amount of current or turbulence in the tank. As your tangs all inhabit the lake's close shore I'd go with the combination that minimises the current

Shore inhabitants experience more flow/turbulence/turnover than mid lake species................the reason it always pays to fish freshwater on the windswept bank...........that's where the wind turns the water/bait/food round. It's shallower, and if you equate it to a slightly open door on a windy day, the wind will always rush through a smaller opening than a larger............it exerts more force to pass through

Trav..........just set each filter up at each end as you would with one with their intakes/oulets together................KISS is the go here................less hose/shorter uplifts and no buggering around. If you find there's too much flow, direct the outlets either to an obstruction/the back of the tank/a spray bar (or two)/you can even have the spray bar pointing upwards if your lids are sound and you don't mind algae on 'em.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It definitely has given me something to think about. I might play around with it a bit to see if moving them around has any impact on how clean the sand stays over the week and if the build up still occurs with both intakes at one end and crossed over etc. the other thing is I'm not sure if my lids will have enough clearance to fit 2 intakes at one end but we'll see and I'll give the feedback on what provides the best results.

Thanks to everyone

Trav

I place both intakes and both outputs in the same corner. That way its easy to hide it all. I dont usually use spray bars, so I have a good current blasting along the surface, and that hits the opposite end, gets forced down and creates a nice undertow that brings debris to the two intakes.

Hi all,

Haven't been on the forum for a few months... When I was running my 8x2x2 I used two Eheim 2260 canisters. I had one filter (with both intake and outlet for that single filter) at each end of the tank. I had flow directed toward the surface and got great agitation of the water surface, excellent water movement throughout the tank and was very happy with the setup.

Good luck :)

Cheers,

Nige