a98765

C02 newbie need advice!

Hey guys, I have decided to upgrade my planted 4 foot tank and bought myself a 6ft monster! I currently have plants in my 4ft and it looks nice, all healthy using aquasoil as substrate, dosing each week with Seachem flourish and excel daily, but I've decided if I am going to set up my dream tank filled with heaps of plants I think it's finally about time to get into C02.

Can anyone give me any tips on using it? I am trying to find a good quality unit or is it better to source the parts separately? I have noticed some products on the market are only up to a certain amount of litres and I can't find anything that's probably more suitable for my size set up. Anyone know of any great C02 units or where I can get them from for a tank 680l with a larger cylinder capacity to hold more C02 so I don't have to refill too often.

Your prob better off going with 2.5kg bottles commonly used for homebrew. However with going up in size you need better regulators that can handle the pressure and have safety release. You can use a paintball regulator on a sodastream bottle (cheap) but you will prob use 400g every month. If you have a few bottles you stretch your refill time out. Works out cheaper going homebrew setup though but you have an initial $200 outlay for co2 can and have $80-$150 for regulator to suit.

Check second hand on homebrew sites for co2 and regulator for a bargain.

Also don't believe hype about "foodgrade co2". Comes down to how clean canister is, co2 gas all comes from the same place. Just confirmed this recently with rep from boc. Heck co2 fire extinguishers are food grade and i know people using them in tanks with good results.

Good luck