Shanoz

Best Colony to suit a 4'x20"x20" Tank

Hey all,

After stripping and shifting some of my tanks, I have my 4'x20"x20" Display Tank empty and waiting for something New to go in there. I would like some ideas from you all on what you think I should keep in there. I have been thinking of a Salvini Colony but after some reasearch it's probably not the greatest idea. So if you would like to throw some ideas at me that would be great. Here is a pic of the tank when it was an African Setup which is around 12 months old!!

Cheers Shanoz!!

IMG_6289.jpg

you want a colony? as in alot of fish?

Im guessing thats why you didnt go a pair of salvini?

hmmm, yeh not sure about a colony of eliotti, I think they are pretty chilled though.

Mate srsly if you want a yank colony get some convicts. yes I can hear you laughing, but proper youbute quality convicts not the rubbish people flog off willy nilly. Straight bars, good colour and I reckon itd be an entertaining tank. The way they take care of their fry in a nursrey type environment you'll have a nice little mini battle field in your tank to sit and enjoy.

or geos. ozmo has some orange heads. you could whack a good dozen in your tank.

I actually have one lonely albino male in a 3ft tank atm bud funnyly enough. I have always had a soft spot for convicts as they have great personality but also produce huge amounts of food for your other fish! You reckon the orange heads wouldn't get to big for that tank?? How big do they get? I would prefer something other than Africans, NAtives or Tropicals!

+1 on geos. Would look cool with that sand.

Thanks Mitch! I got that sand off a guy here in the forum, he bought it up from Ballina for me when he was heading to the Auctions. After a few hours of tedious washing it turned out brilliantly. The best bit is, its super easy to clean and when you fill your tank the sand just sits and does float everywhere through the tank duie to the removal of all the lighter sand particles when I cleaned it!

I have a tank with sand ,DW and Geos ,which i enjoy very much ,bought all my geos from Exotics Rocklea may be go there have a look at the variety available,,with some corys running around the bottom on the sand maybe 2 whiptails and a school of harlequins to occupy the top area ,thats what i have done....

Oh And EFC have the cheapest Corys around!

Edited by chickadee

Yeah it is a great look. I wonder what the EPA would say if I borrowed a couple of buckets at Fraser Island. We go every year and lake Birabeen has the whitest sand I've ever seen, it's nearly clear lol, google it and check it out. But it's a national park so thankfully it can stay there and be pretty for years to come.

Thanks Chickadee!!!

Yeah Mitch, taking from Fraser is probably not the best idea .This sand is as far as I know called "Ballina White Sand", it was refined down there so I was told. It did cost me $35 for 4 12-15kg bags, but i tell you and as you can see, it was well worth it plus it was alot cheaper than most substrate that you can buy!

I have a tank with sand ,DW and Geos ,which i enjoy very much ,bought all my geos from Exotics Rocklea may be go there have a look at the variety available,,with some corys running around the bottom on the sand maybe 2 whiptails and a school of harlequins to occupy the top area ,thats what i have done....

Btw Chickadee how is your Alex going??? ;)

Yeah it is a great look. I wonder what the EPA would say if I borrowed a couple of buckets at Fraser Island. We go every year and lake Birabeen has the whitest sand I've ever seen, it's nearly clear lol, google it and check it out. But it's a national park so thankfully it can stay there and be pretty for years to come.

Btw Mitch, Birabeen is beautiful been there twice, mind you that was like 20 years ago, it was our families secret Lake Mackenzie, as everyone would go to Mackenzie where we would go to the almost abandoned Birabeen!!